Calculating $$$ Values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calculating $$$ Values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:40 pm

The baseline value would be the 12th player in each list if your league has 12 teams. 14th if it has 14 teams. OF would be the 36th player if it was 12 teams. For bench players use the UT values and or your CI and MI positions make sure you have seperate lists and don't use the individual values (1B, 3B, etc.).
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

10 teams??

Postby fan-addict » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:42 pm

how would your projected dollar values increase were your league 10 teams rather than 12? in a 10 team league allowing $260 auction dollars, the total money per player would be more than in a 12 team league so would a $33 player in the 12 team league be worth ....what, $36, $37, $38 in a 10 team league? this, of course, doesn't count inflation in a keeper league when players are thrown back into the pool because their contract has run out. however it would provide a baseline for me to compare my dollar values to your's once i enter my projections into your system. and like several others i would like to commend you on your post and to say that i am very glad i have found this forum and look forward to utilizing it in the future. the cafe seems to be a wonderful resource.
fan-addict
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 pm

wow thanx elijah great post, i might have to use this if i enter into one of AOL's auction drafts this year since i never have done one
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:56 pm

If you looking at 12-team $ values the quick and dirty way of converting them to 10-team would be: ($*2600)/3120. This assumes you have the same B/H roster split and your using the same percentages.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fan-addict » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:01 pm

thankx amazinz. this is exactly the kind of timely and useful info that makes this site seem so useful. i really appreciate the time that y'all put into answering everyone's questions. especially seeing as how i have alot of the same questions. oh, and how much would the values change if it was an a.l. or n.l. only league?
fan-addict
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:04 pm

fan-addict wrote:oh, and how much would the values change if it was an a.l. or n.l. only league?

They would change too much to convert them easily. I would take a look at RotoTimes NL/AL $ values. Their new projections are up and look pretty decent to me from what I've looked at so far.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby fan-addict » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:07 pm

thankx for the advice. i'll check into it. i will of course, calculate my own values, but it's always good to have other numbers to compare to to see what other owners may be thinking.
fan-addict
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mtims69 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:44 am

If you wanted to skip all the steps above and just wanted to use my formula with your projections, you could just plug in the following coefficients:

R 0.20
HR 0.34
RBI 0.22
SB 0.37
AVG 0.23 (you multiply this by (actual - replacement) x ab)

W 1.08
K 0.02
SV 0.24
ERA 0.08 (multiply by (replacement - actual) x IP).
WHIP 0.06 (same as ERA).

Are these numbers the same for a NL only League?
mtims69
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Elijah » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:11 am

Hmmm,

No those would only apply to the sort of league I described way back at the start of the post. The reason it would change is that in an AL/NL only league the replacement player is much much worse than in a mixed league.. I've never done values for an NL only league, but I think what would happen is that the best and worst players would get a boost in value, and the mediocre guys would start to streamline together more. Remember though, if you're skipping the other steps and using those coefficiants, those are for the difference between the players projected stats and a replacement players, you can't just mutiply them by what you have projected.
Elijah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Elijah » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:24 am

Also for Wyatt's question on calculating the replacements value:

What I found is that the last few guys to make the cut at any given position are more or less interchangeable, so I would use an average of the last 4 guys who made the cut to the player universe, and then the next best 4 guys who didn't. That should give you a good picture of what the average replacement at a given position would look like.

If you're league has dedicated MI, and CI slots (for a 12 team league for example) I would just take the best 18 1B, best 18 2B etc. It just makes things easier and like I said, the last few guys to make the cut to the player universe are pretty close to replacement anyways so it's not really a huge deal if you're off on them a little bit. Oh, and if you have 1 Util slot for a 12 team league, I just use the best DH's, and then fill in the rest of the 12 guys with OF's.. all the best players left tend to be OF's at that point anyways.
Elijah
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers