Calculating $$$ Values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calculating $$$ Values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:34 am

Very informative. Thanks. :-) I'll have to find some time to re-read that more in depth because there's a lot of information there. Thanks again. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotodog » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:53 pm

eLIJAH, I dont 5x5 .....but if I did, id bookmark this post.....As a baseball prospectus reader , I Love the fact you used vorp. ;-D
My question to you? How long have you been playing around with fantasy baseball? I will assume quite a while now.....Is there a way to possibly create a spreadsheet that had all the formulas pre programmed into it? I only ask because ive used "rotolab" for 2 years and I am very happy with it. Great tool if any repeat customer wants to shell out the 49 bucks for it. But it doesnt really build in any position scarcity like your model by using vorp.
I play in many different leagues, 6x6 , 4x4, al , nl mixed, etc...
I am not a spreadsheet guru, but would like to know how easy it would be to create a spreadsheet that you could change the values by different categories, player pools etc.....

One more thing......
GREAT JOB ! ;-D tHE SINGLE BEST SERIES OF INFORMATIVE POSTS IVE SEEN IN A LOOOOOOONG TIME.
I have to read it in doses, because my comprehension just aint what it used to be when I was young.... :-D
Thanks..............Rotodog
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:15 pm

Amazing post, very informative and I'm bookmarking this for later use. Thank you. These posts are what forums like this are for :-)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Elijah » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:00 am

:*)

How long have I been involved in fantasy baseball? hmmm... I played in what was possibly the most realistic league ever back in the pre-internet days (it was kind of points based, we used my dad's runs created formula which is similar to Bill James'... and we even had points for defense, catchers era.. dear god), that league ran from '89-'95 (I was 9 when it started). Then my baseball interest started to wane and I didn't play any fantasy baseball until the '04 season. To be honest, I'd never even heard of 5x5 until the beginning of last year. :-o

How easy is getting a spread sheet started? Basically the only hard part is getting all your player projections onto a spreadsheet. After that it's really easy once you get the hang of the formula... or actually any formula you could concieve of. I think I'm up to 10 files with different formulas.. but they all start off with the same player projections. The more in-depth your projections (ie. more stats/players), the more options you'll have when you sit down to create a formula or whatever.

Well I think I'm up in my slow draft league that's going on here (check it out, I think my opponents are doing an excellent job), it's the Veterans keeper friday funnies if you scroll down on the main forums page.

Oh... heh.... A-Rod sat on my reserve list doing nothing for 3 years from '93-'95... then the league broke apart... it had been a perpetual keeper league :~(
Elijah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:45 pm

Wow, very very informative post. I learned alot from this. I have never played an auction style league before, but am very interested in starting. And have one quick question. You said you start with $260 in a 12 team league, how much should each team start with if i were to set up an auction for a 10 team league? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:43 pm

$260 was the amount used in the original Rotisserie rules published. There was logic behind choosing that number but I can't remember. I don't believe it matters what the actual cap is. A 10-team league that uses a $260 cap will work just as well as a 12-team. Most of the published dollar values will be worthless to you but for the most part they're not that great anyway.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Calculating $$$ Values

Postby Jobu » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:30 pm

Great post... my only question is, what is the "Total Category Value" for AVG? That is, how do you calculate it? Surely it's not a sum of the AVG of the baseball universe, is it?
Jobu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Elijah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:42 pm

To calculate the category value for AVG you take a given players average then subtract the replacement AVG for that position. Then multiply that number by AB's. Do this for all the players in your 'baseball universe', and you have the total category value for avg.
Elijah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wyatt » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:26 pm

I was wondering how many players total per each position do you include for the replacement players value. I have my total players for my universe seperated out at each position already. My league starts the following C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, UT, 6P with 5 bench players meaning a total of 264 players get drafted. Do I just include every player left at each position or is there a certain cutoff number? I've never attempted to do dollar values before? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Wyatt » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:26 pm

I was wondering how many players total per each position do you include for the replacement players value. I have my total players for my universe seperated out at each position already. My league starts the following C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, UT, 6P with 5 bench players meaning a total of 264 players get drafted. Do I just include every player left at each position or is there a certain cutoff number? I've never attempted to do dollar values before? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers