"Cafe Novice" League Forming - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

"Cafe Novice" League Forming

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Cafe Novice" League Forming

Postby Mr.3000 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi All,

I would like to figure out if there is any interest in forming a league for cafe novices. I haven't written up anything formal at this point as of yet, but here are the broad strokes...

1. Managers: 8-10 people, qualified managers will be those with 2 or fewer saeasons managing a fantasy baseball squad who have a sincere interest in learning more about the game, promise to actively manage their team for the entire season, and wish to join a league with competitve credibility.

2. Format: Roto - NL Only - 4x4 with weekly lineups, these limits should allow everyone to be "informed" without requiring too great a time commitment.

3. Hosted: I'm thinking Yahoo or CBS at this point. Ease of use decision, they seem to be the concencus favorites.

4. Draft: Internet sometime in March, unless everyone wants to show up in Denver for a live one. The closer to the season start the better, this way someone won't wind up with a top draft pick who blows out his ACL in spring training.

5. Rosters: 25 man major league roster, no minor league roster.

6. Keeper/Non-Keeper: Leaning towards non-keeper, but I am open to hearing a rebuttal of this.

That's probably enough to get this post started. Please respond to this thread. If there is enough response I reserve the right to add some knockout questions, or hold an informal review process. Knockout questions will be less baseball oriented and more are you a reasonable person oriented.

Let me here from you.
Mr.3000
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:50 pm

I'd be interested in joining this league, having only played 1 season of Fanatsy Baseball. However, may I make some suggestions?

1) I think the league would work better with 10-12 managers; if there are only 8, the draft would be less important, as there would be plenty of quality players still available. Part of learning in Fantasy BB is learning how to draft, and if it's easy to rectify your mistakes because of the quality of FAs, then I think you miss out on an important part of the learning process.

2) Similarly, I don't see any reason not to have the standard 5x5 categories, or for it to be players in all of baseball. Anyone who has sincere interest in learning more about the game will benefit from playing in a league similar to most leagues around.

3) Yahoo might be the best, as it's free, and probably more attractive to novices (it's not costing anything to learn!)

4) Makes sense, as long as everyone is committed to the league, so we don't run out of time in the draft!

5) ;-D

6) Again, probably non-keeper is best for novices, to concentrate on this season, rather than thinking about who might be a good long-term prospect.

Just my thoughts...feel free to comment and/or ignore them!! ;-)
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Deuce » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:26 am

I think I meet all of the above requirements. I would be interested in joining either league. I do agree, having both NL and AL players makes for more fun. I'd also be interested in connecting on Yahoo fantasy.

Deuce
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mr.3000 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:10 pm

So far so good. Lets call it three votes for connecting via Yahoo. As far as expanding the Managers, player pool, and scoring, I'm open to this as well. Let's see how much more interest we can drum up before we make an final decision.
Mr.3000
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ZeroGravitas » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:35 pm

I have only played one season and would be interested in this league. Personally, I would prefer the expanded rosters and increase in managers expressed earlier. And Yahoo's fine with me.
ZeroGravitas
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Plotting the demise of... Nevermind. Keep forgetting I don't actually have a nemesis.

I AM IN

Postby Big dawgs » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:42 pm

I like NL&AL roto scoring 10 to 12 manegers it is harder you have get in to baseball to find a player that is not an allstar.yahoo is good for me.
Big dawgs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Deuce » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:10 pm

Looks like we might be on our way to the big show. Whenever the final plans are put together, sign me up.

Deuce
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mr.3000 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:23 am

Great. It looks like Yahoo it will be. Let's say that we have the potential founding five members in, unless someone has a change of heart. If we can come up with another 5-7 managers, and no one gives a good reason for AL or NL only, then let's say that it will be both AL and NL rosters with 5x5 scoring. Agreed?
Mr.3000
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mr.3000 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:45 pm

bump
Mr.3000
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tvv44 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:13 pm

I'm in as long as it's on Yahoo and it's free.

I like the idea of having both AL & NL. I would also prefer 5x5 roto.
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Classifieds