Check out my fantasy team - and questions... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Check out my fantasy team - and questions...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Check out my fantasy team - and questions...

Postby northjersey78 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:21 pm

It's never too early to start looking ahead at next season. I am in a 10 team keeper league (head to head scoring). Each year we can keep 2 players from the previous year. Here is my team from 2004 - I won the league:

C - Ivan Rodriguez
1B - Mark Teixera
2B - Bret Boone
3B - Alex Rodriguez
SS - Michael Young
OF - Chipper Jones
OF - Carl Crawford
OF - Garrett Anderson
UT - Paul Konerko
B - Mike Liberthal
DL - Magglio Ordonez

SP - Roy Oswalt
SP - Barry Zito
RP - Mariano Rivera
RP - Brad Lidge
P - Joe Nathon
P - Kerry Wood
BN - Brett Tomko
BN - Octavio Dotel
BN - John Lackey
BN - Dustin Hermanson

I took ARod with the #2 overall pick (Pujols went #1). A lot of my early round picks were injuried most, or all of the season (Garrett Anderson, Magglio Ordonez) but I lucked out with some late round picks of Carl Crawford, Paul Konerko & Mark Teixera. I actually picked up Joe Nathan and Brad Lidge off waivers before they blew up and I nabbed Michael Young with the 2nd to last pick in the draft - round 15.

So who do I keep? Obviously ARod is going to be one of them but I'm not sure who to take with the 2nd keeper. Do I keep a young guy like Texiera who could be a 40 homer, 120 RBI type guy? Or a Carl Crawford type who will hit for a high average, score a ton of runs and steal a ton of bases. That guy won me a lot of matchups for triples, runs and stolen bases this past season. Ordonez and Garrett Anderson are injruy risks. Pudge Rodriguez is still the premier player at a very thin catcher position. I could look at keeping Oswalt, Kerry Wood or Zito or even Brad Lidge who looks like he could be the next Eric Gagne. Tought decisions...thoughts?
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biller24 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:51 pm

It definitely comes down to Teixeira and Crawford. Between the two I would pick Teixeira. He's on his way to being a 40+ hr and 115 rbi + guy. And he's only gonna get better. Plus you already have A-Rod who's gonna get you a decent amount of steals. You should be a able to find some cheap steals later in the draft to compensate for not picking Crawford. Good luck!
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby northjersey78 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:51 pm

biller24 wrote:It definitely comes down to Teixeira and Crawford. Between the two I would pick Teixeira. He's on his way to being a 40+ hr and 115 rbi + guy. And he's only gonna get better. Plus you already have A-Rod who's gonna get you a decent amount of steals. You should be a able to find some cheap steals later in the draft to compensate for not picking Crawford. Good luck!

I'm torn. I think ultimately I will pick Teixiera because I think he will become one of the elite 1B in the league. But Crawford single handedly won my a lot of the harder catageories (triples, stolen bases and runs).

But you're right - I ca probably pick up a Crawford/ Pierre/ Podsendik type later in the rounds anwyway.

Next question - we MAY go to a 3 tam kepper where you get to keep a hitter, pitcher and a 3rd who can be either.

If this is the case - who do I take then? Oswalt? Zito? Lidge?

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby biller24 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:47 pm

Personally, I wouldn't keep a closer if I were only permitted to keep 3 players. In my league we are permitted to keep 4 players and I threw Gagne back into the player pool. With an early pick you need players that will fill out a score sheet. In my opinion, Oswalt should be your choice.
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CHAMBO » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:30 pm

I would probably keep Carl Crawford, he will get you those harder to get catagories like stolen bases, triples and he will hit for average, not for power. It is easier to get a guy who swings for the fences if you want a guy like that, Adam Dunn to name a name.
CHAMBO
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye

Postby Donny Baseball » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:01 am

for one I don't think the catcher position is that thin ie (pudge, posada, v. martinez, j. lopez, piazza) and they will all go in later rounds.

now to your keeper questions...in roto it's a no brainer with tex, but the opposite can be said in h-2-h. Crawford is a special player in h2h because of the triples and SBs that he gets so keep him. Plus there is well over 10 good 1B out there to draft (helton, pujols, thome, ortiz, delgado, tex, sexson, konerko, moraneu) and they all can give you power.

if you can also keep a pitcher do Oswalt
Donny Baseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby northjersey78-2 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:58 pm

OK, this was my post but for some reason my account will no longer work so I am not registered under northjersey78-2.

So anyway - it's a H2H league. That's why I am more inclined to take Crawford. Although Tex seems to be on the verge of stardom. 38 homers last year and he may just be getting better. Craword did have 60 stolen bases again last season - and 19 triples. Those 2 categories alone have won by quite a few weeks last year. Problem is that Tex could really blow up in the HR, RBI categories but 1B is so deep. There's also a chance I could get a Crawford type player (lots of speed) later in the round but no gaurantee.
Talk sports at New York Sports Board - www.nysportsboard.com - Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders and Devils
northjersey78-2
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:44 am

northjersey78-2 wrote:OK, this was my post but for some reason my account will no longer work so I am not registered under northjersey78-2.

If you wanna use the other 1, PM Arlo and explain what happened.

My first guess is to go with A-Rod and Tex but it would depend on your league. Do they overvalue steals?? If so, then you might want to keep him. That said, I would think that Crawford has the best chance of making it back to you in the 3rd round (with keepers) of the draft.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby northjersey78-2 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:27 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
northjersey78-2 wrote:OK, this was my post but for some reason my account will no longer work so I am not registered under northjersey78-2.

If you wanna use the other 1, PM Arlo and explain what happened.

My first guess is to go with A-Rod and Tex but it would depend on your league. Do they overvalue steals?? If so, then you might want to keep him. That said, I would think that Crawford has the best chance of making it back to you in the 3rd round (with keepers) of the draft.

It's a H2H league, so triples and stolen bases are seperate categories.

It is defintely a 3 player keeper - 1 pitcher/ 1 hitter/ 1 either. Plus I won the league so I am looking at the last pick in essentially the 4th round.
Talk sports at New York Sports Board - www.nysportsboard.com - Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders and Devils
northjersey78-2
T-Ball Trainer

Postby northjersey78 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:35 pm

OK, I'm back!

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor