Lieberthal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lieberthal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lieberthal

Postby uanap » Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:29 pm

Hey guys, new to the site, but like it so far. What do you guys thinks of Lieberthal? Is he back and ready to go? By the way, are there any other players from last year that were injured and may be overlooked (i.e. Mo Vaugn)?
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:57 pm

Hi uanap, welcome to the cafe! So far, Lieberthal looks like he's back at 100%, no mean feat after knee surgery. I like his prospects for this year.

Aside from Big Mo, others coming back from serious injury include Varitek (who may take a bit to return to his old form), Frank Thomas (back and ready to go) and Benson, who will be out for a few more weeks, but would make a nice late sleeper. Nomar and Pedro as well, although they won't be overlooked... Oh yes: Todd Hollandsworth, although his playing time remains a question mark. Jeff Hammonds is back after a shoulderr injury. Barry Larkin returns as well, although he'll again be an injury risk.

Benson seems the most likely of these guys to be completely overlooked - lots of people shy away from players who will begin the season on the DL.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:06 pm

Oops - forgot Jon Rauch, who will be in the rotation this year and has the arm to do well down the line. Todd Stottlemyre returns from the dead (proceed with caution). Scott Erickson will be the opening day starter and could be worth a look. Garrett Stephenson has set a record for fastest return from Tommy John surgery. Andy Ashby is trying to come back, but hasn't looked good so far. And Jeff D'Amico's latest rehab is over as well.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some names; can anybody think of any others?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby uanap » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:07 pm

Thanks Arlo. I agree Benson is being overlooked. Nomar and Pedro are getting plenty of ink but I think you can get The Big Hurt and Benson late. In fact, I'm looking to draft both of them in the later rounds (if Thomas will last that long).
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:13 pm

Thomas has gotten a lot of press as well. I don't think it's likely he'll last until the late rounds (depending on the size of your league, of course). What may make him drop a bit in the draft in leagues with a small bench is that he'll probably only qualify as a dh. Doesn't matter - you want him anyway.

In a recent draft I was in, I was able to grab Benson as a $2 endgame pick. You'll find he'll go for a similarly low price or late pick in many leagues.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby uanap » Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:25 pm

Thanks for the tip bro. By the way, what have you heard about Dean Palmer. I know he had a set back recently but is he fine? I figured I would rather gamble on someone like him or Benson than unproven rookies. What do you think?
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:47 am

I'd probably steer clear of Palmer. He's missed time this spring with neck, back and shoulder trouble. It's still uncertain whether or not he'll begin the season on the DL, and even if he's healthy, his average will hurt.

Of course if you do pick him up late and he returns to post solid power numbers, you'll look like a genius, but the risk that he'll fizzle seems too high to take at the moment. Besides, there's a good chance he'll wind up on the free agent list - if he starts showing positive signs, you'll probably still be able to pick him up.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby uanap » Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:38 pm

Thanks for the advise Arlo.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers