Beltrán the new king of New York - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Beltrán the new king of New York

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltrán the new king of New York

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:33 am

Translated with Babelfish from Primera Hora newspaper:

MANATÍ. - Carlos Beltrán could not hide yesterday to his enthusiasm and tranquillity of which finally he had reached a contractual agreement with the Mets of New York.

"Well I am satisfied because we could reach an agreement. The Mets at any moment showed genuine interest and was arranged to commit itself of the form that I demanded ", last night expressed Beltrán in interview with FIRST HOUR in Manatí.

Jessica Lugo, wife of Beltrán, and all their family was rebozantes of joy with the good news. In afternoon of yesterday, Beltrán celebrated briefly with all and took care of the New York press only by moments in the home of one of its relatives, because to have it called. There was no champaña, nor a celebration "fancy". But that once dissipated the euphoria, the foresters went away to train to a field with ceiling of zinc and lack of painting in their Manatí birthday, as he does every day. As if to sign a contract of 119 million dollars it had been a normal thing.

FIRST HOUR was witness of how Beltrán last night trained with its cousin Jorge in the destartalada field of Manatí. He was incredible to observe how the sportsman, who hardly hours ago had become one of the paid best athletes of the world, there was given to his routine of exercises as if nothing had happened.

"I must follow with my preparation. I ahead have one season that is well important for me and for the city of New York. I am doing the possible thing to go in the best physical training conditions possible to help the equipment ", affirmed Beltrán. "I have goals that I want to fulfill and simultaneously that we reached an agreement with the Mets, I have an important commitment with the city".

Scott Boras, agent of Beltrán, had showed its intention to obtain a contract for boricua of six to seven years with an average of $17 million by season. This way Beltrán and Boras obtained the main objective that interested when sending themselves to the market of free agents. The agreement also includes a bond by 11 million dollars.

Nevertheless, Beltrán indicated that the reason to sign with the Mets was not motivated only by money.

Beltrán was changed the summer last to the Stars of Houston, who were negotiating to retain it until he expired, Saturday, the time that they had to contract it. But, the Stars could not give him what demanded: a clause of nonchange.

"I hope that the fanaticada one of Houston understands it because well I am been thankful. This process was well difficult. The reason by which we could not reach the agreement (with the Stars) was by a clause of nonchange ", needed Beltrán.

"the Stars offered a contract to me of seven years, but they did not want to give the clause to me of nonchange. And in this level of my race which I want it is stability. To be in a city throughout the contract without preoccupations of which I am going to be changed ", added. "New York offered that stability to me that Houston did not promise to me".

"On that my decision was based. That one was the key and I said here ' is that it agrees to me because they are giving the stability me that it looked for ", abounded. "It is a security that I occur my same one and to my family to the knowledge who I am going to be in a city in that I will be endorsed, not only by the fanaticada one, but by Omar Minaya (generente general the Mets) and Tony Bernazard (attending special), that is people that I know long ago. It makes me feel well because I know that they are in a direction in which they were not three years ago. They want to really offer a winning equipment ".

Ever since the Mets contracted the Dominican Minaya so that to work as general manager has made a series of moved to fortify to the novena and to present/display one more a more attractive image for the Latin fanaticada one of New York. This included the company/signature of the stellar Dominican thrower Pedro Martinez the last weeks. With a new own television channel of the Mets, the organization looked for to count on a figure young, Latin and outstanding, characteristic that found in Beltrán, that will become the man tax exemption.

"If been she had not prepared perhaps she had made the decision. I trust the abilities that the Gentleman has given me. I say that when you work strong, you take care of yourself and beams the things affluent in front of God, always you are going to be blessed so that you leave forwards ", showed the Novice of the Year of American Liga of 1999.

"I am ready for any challenge. One lives with challenges, because the challenges are those that make you obtain your goals. This one is a pretty challenge and that I will face. I know that we are going to come out well ".

"I know New York. I have played there as visitor and I see this like an opportunity turn that city my home by approximately seven years. Now it is question to maintain to me healthful and to continue making the work since I have done it until now ", added.

The stellar player will today leave Monday to New York in company of Bernazard, to be put under the physical examinations of rigor and to conclude the details of the contract, like for example, the form in which its wage throughout the duration in the agreement will be distributed.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:17 am

Funny that we've been following this saga for so long and this is the first time we hear from him. Oh man...

When's Spring Training start already??? :-B
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:29 am

I can't wait for the press conference Tuesday. Damn that's bad. :*)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:28 pm

Passed his physical. ;-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:56 am

imo pedro will be the king of new york, where as beltran will be the prince or maybe whipping boy if he hits 270 again this year.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets