My take on the NY Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My take on the NY Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My take on the NY Mets

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:34 pm

**Sorry about the long rambling post, but it’s been a while and I was a bit backed up**

First off to the owners of this fine establishment, thank you.

Next, the Mets. I am not a Met fan or a Met hater. I read a ton of baseball writing and the Mets are a regular whipping boy. Sure the media loved the whole subway series stuff a few years ago and I even had to endure a full exhibit of such at the HOF, but all in all I would say most on here and other places treat the Mets like a red-headed step child. I will grant you, much of that is warranted. The Mo Vaughn thing deserved a long ripping period.

But....let's take a look at this team. I am going to assume they land Beltran, and I have a gut feeling if they do that they will also land Delgado. There is some talent here, and this team is ripe with fantasy bounceback candidates.

IF they make the above-mentioned signings, (I know they have not yet, so don’t kill me) they will start an infield of Delgado, Matsui, Reyes, and Wright, an outfield of Cameron, Beltran and Floyd, and a rotation of Pedro, Benson, Glavine, Trachsel, and Zambrano, with Looper as the closer. Lets break it down a little further.

Delgado: I like him for a bounce-back this year regardless of where he lands. He can still hit, and is one season removed from a 145 RBI season. I for one think he has another monster season left, although a move to the NL and particularly Shea would temper those numbers a bit.

Matsui: I like this guy a lot for this year. Last year was lost in translation for this transplant, but with the exception of Ichiro, many players from Japan have had a hard time in their 1st year of MLB ball. The game is the game, but changing continents, not speaking the language, different culture, different world, different pitchers and stadiums and umpires, and everything else, it can sometimes take a little while to adjust. Look at the other Matsui for a clue to the 1st and 2nd year adjustment. This Matsui makes for a great late gamble.

Reyes: I can’t say as I am that big on Reyes, but one never knows.

Wright: Anyone that saw this kid play last year has to have him high on the breakout list for this season. He has the potential to get up there with the bigs of the position, perhaps as early as this year. Wright is a future stud whose future may be now.

Cameron: Man what a drag on the batting average, but serviceable in every other way. He is one of those guys that is much better for an actual team then a fantasy team, due to his exceptional D, but 30 HR and 20 SB still look good if you can absorb the average hit.

Beltran: Big numbers across the board, despite the fact that they may be a little lower then what he would have posted in Houston. And don’t buy into this “they paid so much they may be afraid to let him run” crap either. If I pay him that much I have him sweeping the aisles of peanut shells after the game. You get this guy you use ALL his talents.

Floyd: He may get dealt to save money and make a hole for Valent, but if not, Floyd is still a player capable of 90 runs and RBI, 25 dingers, and about a .290 BA. Not bad.

Pedro: He is not the overpowering stud of his youth, but who among us are? He can still get people out. Last year was his career high in ERA, so even if he stayed in Boston he was bound for a bounce-back. But a move to the NL, an extreme pitchers park, and a chance to face the pitcher 3 times a game? Pedro looks good this year.

Benson: It’s put up or shut up time for this former # 1 overall draft pick. He threw some real gems last year, and struggled other times with injury. I like his chances this year.

Glavine: Those that called him finished before last year were in for a rude awakening. A 3.60 ERA and 11 wins on that miserable team, not bad. He still has something left in the tank, especially since he will not be asked to be the ace of the staff.

Trachsel: A pretty damn solid 4th starter. Nothing fancy, but he gets you your 200 innings and about a 4.00 ERA.

Zambrano: This kid has a live arm, and under the tutelage of Rick Peterson, I think we may see something nice for a 5th starter. A sub-4 ERA and about 160 K are not bad.

Here are a few recent statements about the Mets that I am sure most of you heard one place or another.

They overpaid for both Benson and Zambrano.
Omar Minaya is an idiot.
Pedro was a terrible signing, too much for a gimpy shoulder.
Beltran’s numbers will suffer in Shea.
The Mets will figure a way to screw this up.

But lets take a look at this map. You get a great pitching coach that can rebuild once promising or potential studs. You go out and get those types of guys. (Benson/Zambrano). You sign a GM that has an in and can get his hands on the top Latin players. He gets Pedro, which helps get Beltran, which helps get Delgado. You retain some solid vet pitchers that can fill out a rotation, (Glavine/Trachsel). You get some power help to take the pressure off Piazza, (Beltran/Delgado). You build your team with speed at the top, (Matsui/Reyes), power in the middle (Piazza/Beltran/Delgado/Wright), guys that can play D (Cameron/Beltran), crafty veteran pitchers with big game experience, (Pedro/Glavine), and some potential stud kids to learn from them (Benson/Zambrano). You put together an exciting team that will help you promote and sell your new cable network.

I don’t know guys, but I see this. Don’t you?
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:44 pm

;-D great post i feel the same way. They have a solid team especially in the NL, if they land Beltran they could be pretty damn good (well for the mets). With the young talent they have (wright, reyes) things could be looking up for the mets in future seasons
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Viper8437 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:47 pm

i agree with everything you said ;-D ;-D
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BGbootha » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:50 pm

I would agree with you there, I am mostly just going to wait and see what amazinz has to say on this one?!?
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:52 pm

Only with those rose colored glasses on. First off Delgado is not signed and likely headed to the O's from all accounts. Secondly Reyes and Floyd can't stay healthy. Piazza is well past his prime...so is Glavine. Cameron is a K machine...Rob Deer with a glove. Pedro's arm could just as easily fall off in the next 3 years as anything else. No one said they were an awful team and in the NL East they could compete. But they are far from everything coming up roses.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:54 pm

Great Post ;-D, if they Land Beltran Watch out! Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright, Piazza, Matsui, Cameron and Floyd is one hell of a line-up.......
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:56 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Great Post ;-D, if they Land Beltran Watch out! Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright, Piazza, Matsui, Cameron and Floyd is one hell of a line-up.......

Why is everyone talking as if Delgado to the Mets is a foregone conclusion?
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:58 pm

Very good post and I agree with pretty much all of it. I'm much more optimistic about Reyes than you are though. He's having a great winter league season and is very confident in himself with his health right now. He said he was never 100% last year but he is finally there now. The only thing I'm worried about this year is the bullpen. It was a problem last year as well, bridging the game from the starters to Looper. Too many games were lost because of meltdowns. The only guy with substantial major league experience is DeJean. Are there any arms out there that the Mets can try and get? I heard rumors of BY Kim and I think he could be a low risk/high reward type guy and hopefully the Korean guy we just signed can help out.
Last edited by Rirruto on Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:02 pm

I said my gut tells me Delgado will follow Beltran, but yes it is a guess.

And I know much of what I wrote is a best case scenario, but the plan itself makes sense to me. Most seem to feel the Mets are running around like headless chickens with no direction, but this seems like a well thought out plan to me.

And I do think this team is ripe with fantasy bounceback candidates.

Those were my 2 main points.

TF
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:07 pm

Welcome back Tribe-Fan ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next