Beltran's Projections on the Mets?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran's Projections on the Mets??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltran's Projections on the Mets??

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:43 pm

I thought I'd be the first to post what will certainly be a hot topic for fantasy owners: what will Beltran's fantasy value be as a Met?

Personally, I don't see how his value doesn't take a hit. I'm skeptical that Willie will let the Mets shiny new $115M superstar run enough to post 40 steals. On the hitting side, Shea is not a good hitters park, and their line-up is questionable at this point in time (they could certainly improve it with Delgado or another thumper).

Beltran's lifetime stats in Shea are .176 in 6 games and 17 at-bats. granted, that's not enough at-bats to draw any conclusions, but that's gotta give some pause.

I'm thinking he goes 280-95-90-35-30 next year. Definately top numbers, but far behind his projections in Houston.

What sayeth the soothsayers?
Last edited by Secret Avatar on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Viper8437 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:55 pm

ahhhhh
thanks for opening the thread to let the mets haters in :-b
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Beltran's Projections on the Mets??

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:01 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:Personally, I don't see how his value doesn't take a hit. I'm skeptical that Willie will let the Mets shiny new $115M superstar run enough to post 40 steals. On the hitting side, Shea is not a good hitters park, and their line-up is questionable at this point in time.

Speed and stolen bases are a big part of Beltran's value. If the Mets sign him, I don't see why they would collar him. With Reyes, Kaz and Beltran at the top of the order and Cammy at the rear they have a lot of speed and I'd expect them to run a lot.

Shea is not a good HR park. It will take a player like Burnitz and drop him to his knees. Beltran is more of a gap hitter and shouldn't have much of a problem. Will he hit as well at Shea as he would have in MM? No I doubt it but I also don't see it being that drastic.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:12 pm

Beltran is a 5 category player. The Hrs are going to go down some, which means so do the rbis and the runs. Additionally, depending on where he bats in the order, he will have such studs as Piazza or Cliff Floyd or Cameron batting behind him to try and drive him in...meaning even fewer runs scored.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TonyCee » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:16 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:he will have such studs as Piazza or Cliff Floyd or Cameron batting behind him to try and drive him in...meaning even fewer runs scored.

Do you mean even more runs scored??
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:20 pm

The batteries in your sarcasm detector need replacing TonyCee.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:21 pm

Ahhh Berman, Bagwell and and Kent last year for Houston...

With the Mets you are looking at washed up Piazza, David Wright and Floyd/Cameron.

Which would you rather have?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:45 pm

"thanks for opening the thread to let the mets haters in"

I'm not a Mets hater. I'm definately not a fan, but I do like Willie and hope he can be successful as the new manager. Besides, this thread also opens up an opportunity for all Mets lovers to predict a 300-125-110-40-40 season for Beltran. ;-)

Met fans may love Beltran now, but NY is a tough place. He'll get a week or two to start producing, and if not he'll be Boo-tran. ;-)
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Viper8437 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:46 pm

the latter
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:48 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:Met fans may love Beltran now, but NY is a tough place. He'll get a week or two to start producing, and if not he'll be Boo-tran. ;-)

I remember some years back when the Mets traded for Piazza and everyone was saying how NY would eat him alive. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers