Today, Beltran will sign with.....who? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Today, Beltran will sign with.....who?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby biller24 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:25 am

As a Beltran owner I am hoping for some other teams to get involved. Shea Stadium and its supporting cast are not appealing. Houston definitely was the best case scenario and the Mets are definitely the worst case scenario. I hope the George gets the itch to outbid the Mets!
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:28 am

Not going to happen IMO. Unless the Cubs deal Sosa or there is a surprise team, I think it pretty much locks in the Mets. Boras always gets his guys to tak ethe biggest bucks and sadly, I think Beltran is headed to the Mets. Wonder if Boras actuallt told beltran that the NY State and city taxes would more than offset the difference in money.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby biller24 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:36 am

I think that the Yankees would have let Beltran go back to Houston without getting involved. However, I doubt that George is going to let the Mets sign such a high profile player without putting up a fight, especially since Bernies contract expires after this season. Its gonna be interesting. My guess is that Boras is expecting some other teams to get involved with in the bidding.
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:40 am

According to the Houston Chronicle the Mets have signed him

Of course I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, it's more than likely just speculation IMO.
Last edited by Mustangs989 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:44 am

Maybe. Or maybe he is just playing Minaya for a sucker?

At to George, who knows what he really thinks, but indications are that the Yanks plan to deal with the CF situation next year by going after someone like Pierre as a free agent or trading for someone like AJ. I think George is a little gun shy committing that many years to someone. Last guy they did that was with Giambi...and he blew up on them.

Plus after 05, a lot of salary comes off the books as Brown (15M), Bernie (13 M/option declined), Karsay (5M), Stanton (4M), Quantril (3M), FRod (3M) are all going off the books.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:57 am

Im shocked but I should have known better....another Boras client looks to be heading to the highest bidder.

I tend to think that this isn't the worst thing for the Astros. In my opinion it is time for them to retool and rebuild. Put that money into some good young players and look to compete down the track. They have just saved themselves alot of money, and financial freedom/flexibility. If I were an Astro's fan, I wouldnt see this is the worst thing in the world.....someone is is going to overpay for this guy.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Maybe, but I bet they wished they kept Kent now. They will be down to Berkman and Bagwell on offense They could have had a rotation of Oswalt, Miller, Pettitte and Clemens. Now they likely have Oswalt, Pettitte and fill-ins assuming Clemens will retire now. They really got screwed over by waiting this long and not getting their man. Maybe they will try to go with Maggs?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:27 am

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... -headlines

Well I would say knock him down $5 thanks to Boras. SBs stay the same...Hrs drop...rbis drop....runs drop.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Danimal » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:40 am

Since I was right about Houston, let me pass along two more thoughts:
1, Boras is bad for baseball. Period.
2, Beltran will sign with a team other than then Mets. Orioles or Cubs... maybe.
;-D
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers