Today, Beltran will sign with.....who? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Today, Beltran will sign with.....who?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Danimal » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:41 pm

Only a visionary would choose Milwaukee. I'm hoping all that youth comes together in about a year.
;-D
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Houston....unfortunately
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:11 pm

Cant... stop... staring... at... sig...

I'm sorry. Was this post about something else?

B-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:14 pm

Almost certainly the Cubs! :-D

Just kidding. I think it will be the Astros, which is good because it will hamstring them. The Astros won't be nearly as good without Kent, and the possibility of Clemens retiring.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:28 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Almost certainly the Cubs! :-D

Just kidding. I think it will be the Astros, which is good because it will hamstring them. The Astros won't be nearly as good without Kent, and the possibility of Clemens retiring.

I'm pretty sure Clemens' decision hinges on Beltran's. If Carlos comes back, so does Rocket.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:56 pm

I think he will resign with the Astos.
First Today is the deadline ( 11:00 pm tonight to resign with them or cannot play before May 1st
Second Even though the mets have offered more money there is no income tax in Texas so the money would come close to balancing out.
Third A hell of alot less pressure in Houston then NY
Fourth His wifes does like it ther and so does he.
Five I think the Astros will be better then the Mets and have a better chance of a championship
Six Houston is a better place to hit
Seven The weather is better early in the season and at the end of the season in Houston
Did I miss anything?
I would love to see what he could do to help the Tigers. They have the money to spend. If Pudge could help pick the team up and gain 29 wins from 2003 Beltran could possibly make them a contender in the Central.
Last edited by Surfs up on Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:56 pm

Houston. Anything is possible, but with their offer not THAT much below the Mets' why would he not go back? $100 million in Houston is worth $130 million in NY.

The Yanks are gonna sit this one out. The Boss already got his man (the Unit) and he's just never been that emotionally attached to Beltran. Plus, it's pretty clear that Beltran ain't thrilled about playing in NY (for any team) and the Boss usually doesn't go after players that are ambivalent about playing in NY.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:11 pm

Avatar I agree with most of what you said but what is the tax on 30 million? That brings the gap closer. And if he isn't crazy about playing for either NY team that gap grows even closer. than there are the other positive things that favor Houston. IMO
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby DK » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Coming from a Mets fan's perspective, I have to say I hope Houston gets him (at that price). $112 million is too much for almost anybody.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:18 pm

The tax is not even that close. In Beltran's pay bracket that tax would be ~7.7%. The whole tax story is really getting blown out of proportion for a couple of reasons. The margin of difference they are looking at it includes many factors, like cost of living not just state tax. There is no doubt that evey team involved has a team of contract lawyers who hash all of that stuff out.

Most importantly is a point that most of these articles are overlooking: Baseball players pay tax in every state they play in. State income tax isn't about where you live, it's about where you work.

I agree with DK that $112 is too much money especially since you could sign both Delgado and Maggs both for less than that. Another part of me would be happy because this would be a pretty special signing for the Mets in a lot of ways.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers