Difference between pts above average for all and for 1 pos? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Difference between pts above average for all and for 1 pos?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:45 pm

Music2004Man wrote:I agree with you entirely I just think that it would be better to see how they compare against everyone else. As you list them on your list you could put the position next to them and then if you wanted to you could even organize it by position. It seems that if you did that you could see how they perform against players from all positions as well as their own.

I see what you're getting at, and for plain old rankings, it would fine better than ranking just by position. The problem is you want to know how much better a player is than the other players at his position, not just who he is better/worse than. This is when dollar values, AKA a weighted ranking system comes in handy. It's not just important to know that Albert Pujols is better than David Ortiz. It's important to know how much more valuable he is.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:46 pm

LB, I agree with you that I want to be able to quantify how much better or worse each player is compared to the other players. That's where the projections would come in for how many points they will score. I would put them in order by how many points they would score either above (or below) the average starter. Then I could see how they would compare against everyone in their own position as well as against the rest of the league.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JDD » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:51 pm

Someone wrote:

"You have to be able to predict who will be the top scorers at each position, and then you have to make sure you draft as many of them as you can. "

Would you have a problem if I used that strategy this year?

I am ashamed to say I did not think of it myself.

;-7
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:55 am

JDD wrote:Someone wrote:

"You have to be able to predict who will be the top scorers at each position, and then you have to make sure you draft as many of them as you can. "

Would you have a problem if I used that strategy this year?

I am ashamed to say I did not think of it myself.

;-7

That's the point I was trying to make. If it's already difficult to predict top scorers at all, it's even more risky to try and segregate them by position. Then, God forbide, if you turn out to be really wrong...

Some would say that ranking by position is an exercise in futility.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mbuser » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:53 pm

i think the benefit to ranking by position is to at least be aware of when the top players from each are going/gone, and even just the actual # of players gone from each position. if there are 12 teams in your league and 12 catchers have been drafted, you can be pretty sure that the 15th catcher won't be drafted for a long time.

i think 'position scarcity' can be used as a deciding factor between two similar players, but should not be used as a 'trump' factor for the inferior player when choosing between players whose production more than likely will be very different
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Scott Boras Client » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:33 pm

xeifrank wrote:
You can make all the lists you want... but the one that counts in my books is value above the replacement level.

The problem with using vorp rankings for 5x5 roto is that they will understate the value of stolen bases and whatever context-related boost the player gets in his run and rbi cats...
Scott Boras Client
College Coach
College Coach

Postby matmat » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:39 pm

Scott Boras Client wrote:The problem with using vorp rankings for 5x5 roto is that they will understate the value of stolen bases and whatever context-related boost the player gets in his run and rbi cats...

errr... last I checked stolen bases don't really alter players RBI numbers. they likely don't alter his R numbers either.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Scott Boras Client » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:45 pm

stolen bases are part of many runs-created formulas, and therefore matter in vorp calculations. But they're a smaller component in vorp calculations than in a 5x5 league's standings, I believe...
Scott Boras Client
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers