100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Surviving growing up...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Surviving growing up...

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:16 am

My Mom sent me this...

TO THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING! We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them !

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

(Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!)
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:04 am

That is a truely fantastic post. Two big thumbs up! ;-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:02 pm

Great post ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Good post - now if I could only quit smoking...
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote: now if I could only quit smoking...

Staple your lips shut.

8-o

:-D

:-b
Last edited by Madison on Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pacman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:15 pm

Totally great stuff!

I think about the car-seat stuff every time I buckle my two boys into theirs. How many thousands of miles did I bounce around (unbuckled) the back of my parents' Ford Torino 500...

And we played pick-up games of baseball or softball, at a nearby playground at least 50 times a summer.

I think the Playstation-XBox-99cable-channels-stuff is the key... :-t
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:03 pm

hey man great post!!!!
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kentx12 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:40 pm

Madison wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote: now if I could only quit smoking...

Staple your lips shut.

8-o

:-D

:-b

Great idea I have tried everything else... !+)
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:51 am

Great Post......Don't know how life would be w/o a Cell Phone though :-B
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Tavish » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:02 am

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Not digress too much from the fun of reminiscence but...

Isn't this generation of risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors the same that are the lawyers and government that are regulating our lives? Aren't these great inventions and risks the reason the many of the joys from back then are not really around anymore?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Next

Return to General Talk