Fantasy Baseball ethics pt 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Baseball ethics pt 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Baseball ethics pt 2

Postby eftda » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:04 am

The league commissioner set up rules for our keeper league that if you trade for a player in the off-season, that you have to keep that player. So now (less then 25 days until the keepers are due) the commissioner is changing the rules so that they can do more trades. The commissioner did set up a poll and 7 out of the 12 teams voted (4 yes to the change, 3 for having the league rule stay as is), but not having majority of the league vote worries me.

Is this fair or not?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:20 am

A good commissioner should've set up a rule changing voting procedure before the league began. Without one, I'd say he shouldn't change the rules with only a 4 to 3 vote and 5 people not voting (why didn't they vote?). If he wants to change this rule, and put it into effect for after the 2005 season, then I'd be more inclined to accept it. Either way though, I wouldn't get in a hissy fit. But my opinion as above stands as just that... an opinion only.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Re: Fantasy Baseball ethics pt 2

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:25 am

eftda wrote:The league commissioner set up rules for our keeper league that if you trade for a player in the off-season, that you have to keep that player. So now (less then 25 days until the keepers are due) the commissioner is changing the rules so that they can do more trades. The commissioner did set up a poll and 7 out of the 12 teams voted (4 yes to the change, 3 for having the league rule stay as is), but not having majority of the league vote worries me.

Is this fair or not?

Better to change rules now than in the season but I would mention that it would be nice to get everyone to vote before changing anything.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:31 am

To change rules after a league is established requires unanimity, in my opinion.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:31 am

I'd be more concerned with why 5 out of 12 teams didn't vote.

Once everyone votes, then I'd go with the majority. There's plenty of offseason left to work more trades, or to stick by the rules that were first agreed upon.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kolabere » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:06 am

Madison wrote:I'd be more concerned with why 5 out of 12 teams didn't vote.

I agree with Madison.

As the Commissioner of a keeper league (http://www.fantasybaseball.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/), who spends every winter break tinkering with the rules, I know that you have to walk a fine line trying "to please all of the people all of the time".

But the thing I hate the most, much more than people who disagree with me, is people who can't be bothered.
"People believe it is a matter of life & death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly on LFC.
kolabere
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:43 am

the problem with the voting is that only half the members are nuts about baseball like we are and the other half aren't until the season starts. Most don't even care one way or the other. If you are in a public league and want to veto a trade it takes 4 votes out of 12 to veto the trade. Ultimately it's the commish's decision though if it's a close vote in my opinion.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby JTWood » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:10 am

trevisc wrote:the problem with the voting is that only half the members are nuts about baseball like we are and the other half aren't until the season starts. Most don't even care one way or the other. If you are in a public league and want to veto a trade it takes 4 votes out of 12 to veto the trade. Ultimately it's the commish's decision though if it's a close vote in my opinion.

I wish that "we" were even all nuts about baseball. I just started up a 14-owner league with only one member who is not from the FBC. Only three people regularly respond to my e-mails regarding rules, which baffles me because they're still being tweaked, and this is their chance to influence the decisions that will govern them in the future.

As for your league issue, I would not change the rules on that vote. My rule-changing policy is that at least 6 owners must vote, and there must be a super-majority (2:1) to change or create a rule.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby thaklanksta » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:03 pm

I agree with the others, a change is ok but only with a majority vote and a majority vote in my league isnt a majority until ALL members vote. Sounds like a "winter meeting to discuss possible changes is needed.
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JDD » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:07 am

It sounds like the Commish did not want to keep someone who he traded for....
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers