Time to downgrade Arod? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to downgrade Arod?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better draft pick:

Arod
20
36%
Vlad
36
64%
 
Total votes : 56

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Vlad
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5820
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Magical Valley Of Love And Happiness

Postby xeifrank » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:59 pm

AROD's stats have been declining. The following stats have declined the past two years... OPS, SLG, AVG, BB, More K/9, less ABs, RBIs, HRs, Hits and Runs... the following stats have increased the past two years... SBs and that's it.

Not sure what to read into it. But it can't be a good thing. Nonetheless, I'd take a 36/28 with an .888 OPS. Any AROD decline, just brings him back to the top of the pack imho. Maybe others could chime in.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 959
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: SoCal

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:59 pm

Vlad and I don't have to think about it much.

Vlad: .335 - 37 - 122 - 124 - 21

A-Rod: .294 - 44 - 124 - 122 - 15

That's what I have projected. Vlad wins that pretty handily, and he also has the potential to get a lot more steals whereas I wouldn't trust A-Rod to get more than 20, despite his 28 last year.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby duckbillgates » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:27 pm

LBJackal wrote:Vlad and I don't have to think about it much.

Vlad: .335 - 37 - 122 - 124 - 21

A-Rod: .294 - 44 - 124 - 122 - 15

That's what I have projected. Vlad wins that pretty handily, and he also has the potential to get a lot more steals whereas I wouldn't trust A-Rod to get more than 20, despite his 28 last year.


Looks awfully close to me. Vlad with a strong advantage in average, a few more steals, A-Rod with nearly 10 more homers, other categories a wash? And i know 3B is deeper than ever, but it still isn't the outfield.
i'm also a little unclear on why you project more steals for Vlad. i think their first year with their new teams is a better indicator than past performance, and A-Rod had a 13-steal advantage in 2004.
i say it's very, very close, but A-Rod by a whisker. Wish i had such a dilemma on draft day ...
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1216
Joined: 1 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: under a dead Ohio sky

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:32 pm

Very close, but I go with A-Rod
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:35 pm

LBJackal wrote:Vlad and I don't have to think about it much.

Vlad: .335 - 37 - 122 - 124 - 21

A-Rod: .294 - 44 - 124 - 122 - 15

That's what I have projected. Vlad wins that pretty handily, and he also has the potential to get a lot more steals whereas I wouldn't trust A-Rod to get more than 20, despite his 28 last year.


I've been asking this all over: why do people say that his sb will go down? There is no reason at all to assume this.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby blankman » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:41 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Vlad and I don't have to think about it much.

Vlad: .335 - 37 - 122 - 124 - 21

A-Rod: .294 - 44 - 124 - 122 - 15

That's what I have projected. Vlad wins that pretty handily, and he also has the potential to get a lot more steals whereas I wouldn't trust A-Rod to get more than 20, despite his 28 last year.


I've been asking this all over: why do people say that his sb will go down? There is no reason at all to assume this.


That is my question as well, I was just going to come back to it later.

Alex is with a new team, one that lets its studs run. He will likely be on base more next season, giving him more opportunities as well. There is no change in situation, no injury, so why is it such a "given" that his SB's will go down? And don't tell me his averages in the past; the fact is that he is in a very different situation now playing for Torre and with the immense firepower behind him now. What then makes its so obvious to so many people here that his SB's will decrease?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scott Boras Client » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:43 pm

His stolen bases will likely go down because they'll likely revert back toward his average over the last five years, which is 17. There are few precedents for players running more as they get older, and fewer still for sluggers running wild with Sheffied, Matsui, Posada hitting behind them. Last year was a fluke, stolen bases wise, for The Cooler.

Blankman: there's less incentive to risk an out on the basepaths when the next hitter is slugging .600. or .500, for that matter.
Scott Boras Client
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 190
Joined: 4 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:02 pm

Scott Boras Client wrote:Blankman: there's less incentive to risk an out on the basepaths when the next hitter is slugging .600. or .500, for that matter.


Didn't stop him from running last year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Scott Boras Client wrote:His stolen bases will likely go down because they'll likely revert back toward his average over the last five years, which is 17.


A-rod steals when given the chance. He has stolen 46 in the past. He only got caught 4 times last year. It's not a question of ability with A-Rod but only a question of opportunity and permission and the Yankees are a running team and they let A-Rod run.

Scott Boras Client wrote: There are few precedents for players running more as they get older, and fewer still for sluggers running wild with Sheffied, Matsui, Posada hitting behind them. Last year was a fluke, stolen bases wise, for The Cooler.

Blankman: there's less incentive to risk an out on the basepaths when the next hitter is slugging .600. or .500, for that matter.


How about Jeter, Cairo, Soriano, Mondesi? And that's just in the past 2 years. You are wrong, Yankees do run regardless of who is batting behind them. It's all a question of attitude. They play small ball with big bats.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact