Flukes... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Flukes...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:39 pm

I'm interested that you guys considered Vinny Castilla's season a fluke.

Sure, he was 36 going into last season and his best days were considered behind him, those best days however were all when he played for Colorado. Through those years in Colorado he was always a .300 hitter, averaged well over 100 RBI's and close to 40 HR's.

In actual fact his home numbers last season were down on what he had done previously at Coors. And his road numbers were downright awful. Well below his career average. The only thing that was a fluke about his 2004 season was the amount of RBI's he had and that is a flukey category anyway.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:39 pm

Jack Wilson but I think he could continue last season's success.
Image
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2525
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mezzanine Section 12 @ Shea

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:40 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I'm interested that you guys considered Vinny Castilla's season a fluke.

Sure, he was 36 going into last season and his best days were considered behind him, those best days however were all when he played for Colorado. Through those years in Colorado he was always a .300 hitter, averaged well over 100 RBI's and close to 40 HR's.

In actual fact his home numbers last season were down on what he had done previously at Coors. And his road numbers were downright awful. Well below his career average. The only thing that was a fluke about his 2004 season was the amount of RBI's he had and that is a flukey category anyway.
We think he is a fluke because he isnt playing in Colorado anymore. He wont have a good season.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:44 pm

Carlos Guillen
Adrian Beltre
Carl Pavano
Vinny Castilla
Jeromy Burnitz
Matt Lawton
Sean Casey
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5820
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Magical Valley Of Love And Happiness

Postby NZF » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:45 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:I'm interested that you guys considered Vinny Castilla's season a fluke.

Sure, he was 36 going into last season and his best days were considered behind him, those best days however were all when he played for Colorado. Through those years in Colorado he was always a .300 hitter, averaged well over 100 RBI's and close to 40 HR's.

In actual fact his home numbers last season were down on what he had done previously at Coors. And his road numbers were downright awful. Well below his career average. The only thing that was a fluke about his 2004 season was the amount of RBI's he had and that is a flukey category anyway.
We think he is a fluke because he isnt playing in Colorado anymore. He wont have a good season.



Ahh, that isn't last season's biggest fluke. That is this year's biggest bust. Different question me thinks.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby yanksareback2 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:48 pm

Adrian Beltre and Sean Casey were no flukes imo.

Beltre is a stud and he put up these numbers in a tough place to hit.
People around baseball said this kid was gonna be good and he finally busted out last year at the ripe age of 26.

As for Casey he is going to be better this year. The Injury slowed him down and he didn't tear it up at home and he will this year. He cud def hit 30 hrs
yanksareback2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 66
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dleoboyd » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:48 pm

One that comes to my mind, that hasn't been mentioned here is Chris Carpenter. I also think that Melvin Mora is highly overvalued by most fantasy people out there (much to my chagrin as an O's fan, I don't think he is as good as he played in 04).
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 493
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:50 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:me thinks.


aaarrrgh! Where's me buried treasure?!

sorry - couldnt resist the pirate referrence. :-D
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:me thinks.


aaarrrgh! Where's me buried treasure?!

sorry - couldnt resist the pirate referrence. :-D


Look like a pirate - speak like a pirate :-)

CM - still very interested as to why you considered Vinny's 2004 season a fluke.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:58 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:CM - still very interested as to why you considered Vinny's 2004 season a fluke.


I guess its a matter of semantics. You are more than likely right to say that his 2004 numbers should have been expected, therefore they werent a fluke. I know a lot of people expected him to have a great rebound yr, and he did.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact