Who are you taking at #5? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are you taking at #5?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rodg12 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:45 pm

I'm having this exact debate myself since I have the number 5 pick in my re-draft league. Of the guys listed, I'm currently debating between RJ and Helton. I figure RJ will get 20 winx with the Yanks, his Ks will drop by about 30 or so, but they'll still be top of the line, and his E.R.A. and W.H.I.P. should be comparable to what he's done in the past, 2003 excluded. If you're more of the guy that likes the safe, solid pick, scoop up Helton. Pretty much guaranteed for 35+ bombs, .320+ avg, 110+ rbis, 100+ runs.
When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Let's go Yanks!!!
rodg12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:59 pm

Hmmm that's tough. First of all, A-Rod isn't in my top 5 so I'll have to look at 2 others to accompany Beltran, Pujols, and Vlad in my top 5. Miggy is tempting, but he's had on and off years. Will he hit around 270, or around 310? Will hsi OPS be around 900, or around 800? I'd probably take Manny with my #4 pick, and I'd be hesitant to do it, but I might even take Soriano with my #5 pick. He has so much room for improvemetn in his power stats taht I can't ignore it, now that I think about it more, and even though his SB's will be limited, if he eraches 20 and also reaches the power stats I figure he'll get, top 5 doens't seem so far fetched. So I guess my top 5 rounds out like this:

1. Beltran
2. Pujols
3. Vlad
4. Manny
5. Soriano

A-Rod would follow closely after Soriano... asme with Helton. I just don't trust Helton that much; if he's traded he loses a ton of value, and the Rockies are just plain awful anyway. Of their top 3 OPS hitters last year with at least 500 AB's, only Helton remains. Burnitz and Castilla are gone. Walker, arguably their best hitter, is also gone. If you were disappointed by Helton's R/RBI last year, wait till 2005, it doesn't look very promising.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:07 pm

its between helton and abreu for me. seems like abreu gettin no love up in here! I VOTE ABREU!
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:14 pm

Rhymes_T79 wrote:its between helton and abreu for me. seems like abreu gettin no love up in here! I VOTE ABREU!

be careful with that. Some might suggest he had a career yr and his SBs might drop back to his avg range. Dont get me wrong - I like Abreu, but I liked him a lot more when he was a 3rd rd pick last yr - not a borderline top 5 as most rankings have him listed.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pomplona's finest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:18 pm

I'm not exactly a Soriano believer and I don't like to take pitchers early, so the five pick comes down to a very difficult choice between these three guys...

Tejada
Manny
Helton

...I'd rank them like that, but its hard to go wrong with any of them.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby The Thrill » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:36 pm

Tejada, then Helton IMO.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:04 pm

yea helton's value is dropping a little by little...he has not many good players around him..preston wilson is always banged up and walker is gone so who is gonna drive him in or who is he gonna drive in?

i would definetly take miggy at that spot...he was a monster last yr. and no reason why he can't do it again.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby kentx12 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:56 pm

My top 5 are in this order.

Beltran
Pujols
Vlad
Arod
Tejada
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RynMan » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:33 pm

Great question! Heres my top 5:

1. Beltran
2. Pujols
3. Vlad
4. A-Rod
5. Helton

I am gonna say Helton but not write it in stone. I could also go Tejada or Manny. I dont usually like to take a pitcher with my first pick so I think I will pass on Santana....and I wont be drafting Randy this year as I'm too worried about injuries etc.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers