Pitchers in the first two rounds??!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitchers in the first two rounds??!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:29 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
West wrote:not to mention pedro last year, who went in the first round last year and burned many owners. and rj two years ago. i disagree with shockandawe, in general, hitters are much more predictable and less susceptible to injury then pitchers (unless your name is ken griffey jr.).

Actually the probability of injury is greater with hitters. PItchers are injured much less. It seems like more because pitchers are usually miss more time.

One of the biggest causes of injury is repetition. Throwing is the best way to injure your shoulder. Not to mention you are repetitively putting the rest of your body under strain every time you pitch. Hitters dont do anything repetitively. It is 3 (or more for fouls) explosive movements, followed by a long period of inactivity. I think that you will find if you did the research and look at the anatomy and epidemiology, pitchers are more easily and more frequently injured than hitters.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:31 pm

The value of a stud pitcher is greater than the value of a stud hitter but only in leagues with a limited number of innings. In a typical Yahoo league where you get 1250 innings maximum, Randy Johnson can account for 1/5 of your pitching. A stud hitter will only account for 1/9 of your hitting. Yes, pitchers are riskier, but the rewards are higher.

Without limits on innings however, I would recommend downgrading all pitchers a round or two.

A safe strategy is to draft all stud hitters early and wait to see how the starting pitchers perform early in the season. Then try to trade for the stud starting pitchers. You will typically get the more valued player without the risk associated with it.
Last edited by bleach168 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:32 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
lbbaseball14 wrote:oh well i guess he did get lucky then lol...

The bottom line is there is far more risk drafting a stud SP than a stud hitter. If you grab pitchers early then not only are you drafting a potentially unbalanced side, you are taking a far greater gamble overall.

This is bologne! I disagree. I would saya that OVERALL the stud pitchers are more reliable than the stud hitters.

Not very good at fantasy baseball are you?

You can say what you want but I win my leagues yearly. A couple big money league in fact.

That is what everybody who plays fantasy sports says, nobody will admit to losing their league. I guarantee that if you drafted pitchers in the first 2 rounds last fantasy season, you did not win your league. Unless it was an inactive and free Yahoo league.

Sorry man cant say anything about drafting pitchers in firs two rounds. I dont mess with sname draft leagues. I only do auctions and prefer to let the big hitters pass and snag up a few stud pitchers.

I would rather have C Schilling at 30 than Vlad at 45. There are way too many hitters that that can put up decent enough numbers to replace Vlad in a lineup while spending cheap money. But the middle tier pitcher is TOO risky to bring on my team. I would rather have a stud staff and fill my outfield with hitters like Finley, Damon, Edmonds that I can get cheap
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:35 pm

RynMan wrote: epidemiology

8-o Man, you even spelt it correctly
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:37 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
RynMan wrote: epidemiology

8-o Man, you even spelt it correctly

I wouldnt know....is it even a word? :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mbuser » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:41 pm

bleach168 wrote:In a typical Yahoo league where you get 1250 innings maximum, Randy Johnson can account for 1/5 of your pitching. A stud hitter will only account for 1/9 of your hitting. Yes, pitchers are riskier, but the rewards are higher.

a very good point right there
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:44 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
lbbaseball14 wrote:oh well i guess he did get lucky then lol...

The bottom line is there is far more risk drafting a stud SP than a stud hitter. If you grab pitchers early then not only are you drafting a potentially unbalanced side, you are taking a far greater gamble overall.

This is bologne! I disagree. I would saya that OVERALL the stud pitchers are more reliable than the stud hitters.

Not very good at fantasy baseball are you?

You can say what you want but I win my leagues yearly. A couple big money league in fact.

That is what everybody who plays fantasy sports says, nobody will admit to losing their league. I guarantee that if you drafted pitchers in the first 2 rounds last fantasy season, you did not win your league. Unless it was an inactive and free Yahoo league.

Sorry man cant say anything about drafting pitchers in firs two rounds. I dont mess with sname draft leagues. I only do auctions and prefer to let the big hitters pass and snag up a few stud pitchers.

Ok, your team strategy makes more sense in an auction league. But in a snake draft, never use your first 2 picks on pitchers, unless your league is weird and unbalanced, and heavily favors pitching over hitting.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers