Pitchers in the first two rounds??!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitchers in the first two rounds??!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:47 pm

Can anyone answer my question about our league having no maximum innings pitched? Wouldnt two stud SP solidify your spot at the top of the pitching side compared to everyones stud and good or ok pitcher. To me this years draft is a big gamble on the offensive side, theres so many guys that had good years that might not do it again (beltre, carlos guillen) and alot that were injured last year or had terrible years. I understand that fantasy baseball is like this but does any one else think that this years draft might be more luck than anything?
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1116
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:58 pm

So you would take Santana or Randy over Pujols, Beltran or Vlad? Both of those pitchers have had injuries, only one of those 3 hitters have. Is easier to become injured as a pitcher than any other position in the game.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby NZF » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:00 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
This is bologne! I disagree. I would saya that OVERALL the stud pitchers are more reliable than the stud hitters.



That's a big call considering the past two years the No. 1 stud pitcher 2003 Randy J. and 2004 Mark Prior were both gigantic flops.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby West » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:14 pm

not to mention pedro last year, who went in the first round last year in many drafts, and burned owners with his inconsistency. and rj two years ago. i disagree with shockandawe, in general, hitters are much more predictable and less susceptible to injury then pitchers (unless your name is ken griffey jr.).
if you take two stud pitchers in your first two picks, say you get lucky and land both randy and santana, you basically should have 3-4 pitching categories won, provided rj and santana pitch well. but you had better have alot of sleeper ideas for hitters because you will be fighting for decent position players in the middle and late rounds, not to mention you have to grab some closers along the way. you basically give yourself an uneven team right away. i don't like this strategy myself, but that's just my opinion.
oh and also, i don't see how the top position players are any more unpredictable this year than in years past. so we had a few breakout candidates last year, but you get those every year. and as far as top 50 position players who broke out last year, there are only a few (beltre, jd drew, dunn...?) i don't understand why you see the hitters this year as unpredictable.
Last edited by West on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1519
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:17 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
lbbaseball14 wrote:oh well i guess he did get lucky then lol...



The bottom line is there is far more risk drafting a stud SP than a stud hitter. If you grab pitchers early then not only are you drafting a potentially unbalanced side, you are taking a far greater gamble overall.


This is bologne! I disagree. I would saya that OVERALL the stud pitchers are more reliable than the stud hitters.


Not very good at fantasy baseball are you?
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 471
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:17 pm

West wrote:not to mention pedro last year, who went in the first round last year and burned many owners. and rj two years ago. i disagree with shockandawe, in general, hitters are much more predictable and less susceptible to injury then pitchers (unless your name is ken griffey jr.).


Actually the probability of injury is greater with hitters. PItchers are injured much less. It seems like more because pitchers are usually miss more time.
Image
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3522
Joined: 8 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:20 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
lbbaseball14 wrote:oh well i guess he did get lucky then lol...



The bottom line is there is far more risk drafting a stud SP than a stud hitter. If you grab pitchers early then not only are you drafting a potentially unbalanced side, you are taking a far greater gamble overall.


This is bologne! I disagree. I would saya that OVERALL the stud pitchers are more reliable than the stud hitters.


Not very good at fantasy baseball are you?


You can say what you want but I win my leagues yearly. A couple big money league in fact.
Image
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3522
Joined: 8 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby NZF » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:25 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Actually the probability of injury is greater with hitters. PItchers are injured much less. It seems like more because pitchers are usually miss more time.


Got any proof of that :-? I'm not saying it's not true, although from evidence I've seen the past few years I find it very hard to believe.

You do hit the nail on the head with your third sentence though. Pitchers do usually miss more time which is exactly why they are a greater risk ;-)
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
lbbaseball14 wrote:oh well i guess he did get lucky then lol...



The bottom line is there is far more risk drafting a stud SP than a stud hitter. If you grab pitchers early then not only are you drafting a potentially unbalanced side, you are taking a far greater gamble overall.


This is bologne! I disagree. I would saya that OVERALL the stud pitchers are more reliable than the stud hitters.


Not very good at fantasy baseball are you?


You can say what you want but I win my leagues yearly. A couple big money league in fact.


That is what everybody who plays fantasy sports says, nobody will admit to losing their league. I guarantee that if you drafted pitchers in the first 2 rounds last fantasy season, you did not win your league. Unless it was an inactive and free Yahoo league.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 471
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:28 pm

SHOCKandAWE: Actually the probability of injury is greater with hitters. PItchers are injured much less. It seems like more because pitchers are usually miss more time.


i disagree completely, but i can't back it up with statistical evidence that pitchers get injured more than hitters. however, you do see pitchers having off years much much more often than hitters.

My point is that top hitters are much more predictable than top pitchers. this is why we see many many sleeper pitchers come out of the woodwork every year to perform great, while we see only a handful of breakout hitters every year. pitchers often suffer from overuse, dead arm, burnouts. just look at halladay last year, dead arm. beckett -blisters. hudson, pettite each only pitched around 100 innings. mulder had an off year. barry zito? crappy.
how many top hitters do you see having off years? maggs comes to mind. i can't name too many others.
Last edited by West on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1519
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact