Pitchers in the first two rounds??!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitchers in the first two rounds??!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitchers in the first two rounds??!!

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:55 pm

me and my friend were discussing this today.... our league has no maxiumum innings pitched so that might make a difference. Has anyone ever taken two pitchers with the first two picks of their draft only to go on to take hitter after hitter from there on out with the exception of maybe a closer in between? If anyone has done this and been successful i would like to know. I always take hitters in the first two rounds but just curious if taking two stud pitchers has worked for anyone?
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:08 pm

In four years of playing FBB, the only 10 or 12 team league I have ever lost was when I experimented (under estimating the opposition) and drafted two pitchers with my first 2 picks.

That was last season. I took Mark Prior 1. and Roy Halladay 2. Although I never drafted a hitter until pick number 25, I dominated all hitting categories except for SB's. I ended up second in a tightly run race, no doubt in my mind that my experiment cost me the league title.

Drafting is only part of the reason behind a successful fantasy season. It is however crucial to draft a well balanced side that will allow you to contend in all categories. Drafting 2 pitchers with your first two draft picks is not the way to draft a well balanced team.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:14 pm

but then again look at the two pitchers you took 1. prior and 2. halladay. Dont get me wrong both were good picks at the time but to tell you the truth you just got unlucky! and to finish second with both of those guys putting up those kind of numbers is amazing. Do you get where im coming from? Imagine Schmidt and Johnson .. or any stud pitchers that managed to stay healthy. To me that shows that it does work and my league has no maximum innings pitched. Thanks for the input
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:17 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:In four years of playing FBB, the only 10 or 12 team league I have ever lost was when I experimented (under estimating the opposition) and drafted two pitchers with my first 2 picks.

That was last season. I took Mark Prior 1. and Roy Halladay 2. Although I never drafted a hitter until pick number 25, I dominated all hitting categories except for SB's. I ended up second in a tightly run race, no doubt in my mind that my experiment cost me the league title.

Drafting is only part of the reason behind a successful fantasy season. It is however crucial to draft a well balanced side that will allow you to contend in all categories. Drafting 2 pitchers with your first two draft picks is not the way to draft a well balanced team.

Haha but you had hitters like Dunn, Vinny Castilla, and Konerko who had great seasons when they were brutal in 03. You did very well in that sense.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:21 pm

oh well i guess he did get lucky then lol... i just want to know if this could work. everyone says dont take pitchers with your first two picks and some say dont take them in the first round. I agree with this too, i always take two hitters. But i couldnt imagine what kind of turmoil that would create if i took two pitchers back to back with the last pick. Still curious if any one has ever made this work
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:23 pm

That league sounded familiar eh ;-) From memory, Dunn in round 20 something and Konerko and Castilla off the waiver wire. It was only 10 teams though.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:29 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:oh well i guess he did get lucky then lol...

Luck had nothing to do with it ;-)

I'm sure you will get plenty of guys that have drafted two pitchers 1 and 2 and won leagues. In a less competitive league I would've last season and that after drafting two absolute flops.

The bottom line is there is far more risk drafting a stud SP than a stud hitter. If you grab pitchers early then not only are you drafting a potentially unbalanced side, you are taking a far greater gamble overall.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:35 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:

Luck had nothing to do with it ;-)

I'm sure you will get plenty of guys that have drafted two pitchers 1 and 2 and won leagues. In a less competitive league I would've last season and that after drafting two absolute flops.

The bottom line is there is far more risk drafting a stud SP than a stud hitter. If you grab pitchers early then not only are you drafting a potentially unbalanced side, you are taking a far greater gamble overall.

Haha sounded very familiar. I agree, Hitters carry much less risk than pitchers do, therefore I always take a hitter first. And more often than not, second.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:40 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:

This is bologne! I disagree. I would saya that OVERALL the stud pitchers are more reliable than the stud hitters.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:41 pm

I think it is when you get to the middle hitters and pitchers that hitters are less risk.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers