Your thoughts on V. Wells, A. Huff - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your thoughts on V. Wells, A. Huff

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your thoughts on V. Wells, A. Huff

Postby Doc19 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:16 pm

Hey Fellas,

I have had both Vernon Wells and Aubrey Huff on my teams each of the past two years, and was personally expecting improvements from both of them next year, as both players started awfully slow last year but finished well... In a 12 team 5 x 5, where do you predict these two should fall?

Thanx!
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:19 pm

oddly enough I have both projected to get freakishly similar stats but i'd probably take Huff over Wells due to the position he plays.

Both should get close to .300-28-100-100
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:23 pm

Here is where I have them projected.

A. Huff 0.305 33 110 98 4
V. Wells 0.285 30 100 105 8

I'd take Huff because he seems to be more consistant and a better avg is always nice.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:26 pm

I was disappointed in both last year.

Huff really turned it on at the end of last year and I have him projected higher than Wells. Wells is young but his drop in slugging and BA were alarming. It's not going to get any easier without Delgado in the lineup and Rios not showing any power yet. Wells may repeat last year's numbers. In a keeper I like Wells a lot but in a redraft he is not a top tier OF for me this year.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby mtarail » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:27 pm

I'm a little lower on Wells than Huff. I'm expecting them to move in 12 team 5x5 between the 6th-8th rounds. Who knows, maybe people will still be reaching for Wells in the 4th and 5th based on the promise that he held after the '03 season.

IMO Huff is gonna have a better year than Wells and with that 3b eligibility he's the more valuable player.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:05 pm

I'd take Huff without question. He's a 300-30-100-100 guy with good position flexibility. He had a down year last year and his numbers were still good. Plus, he plays on a young team with some good support (Crawford).
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:37 pm

The Ray's line-up is crap, but the Jays might even be worse. Keep in mind that Wells had a chronic calf problem for almost all of last year, which may have hindered his performance. On balance, I think Huff may give slightly better value this year, even more so when you consider position.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:46 pm

Wells offers the security of someone who plays everyday.

Huff offers the security of someone who can provide line-up flexibility.

You have to ask yourself, what does your team need?

In most drafts, Wells will probably go first, to a manager looking for stolen bases.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm

Wells scares me for this year. I realize he played at less than 100% physically last year, but losing the protection of Delgado makes me think he will not near his 2003 numbers.

I think he may be a value in the 9th round or so, but I would guess someone will take him much earlier ... and I would say good luck!
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mcmahojl » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:29 pm

Wells was such a bust last year. Towards the end pulled the trigger...slightly. Not enough for me to be pulling my hair out about it as I sit him on my bench waiting for him to get hot. Huff, I feel, is a better fantasy value because (1) DRays line up is not crap. Tons of speed and should get a bunch of RBI's because of it (2) he has shown more signs of consistancy than Wells over an entire year.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers