Surprising lack of quality will lead to tight races in fbb. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Surprising lack of quality will lead to tight races in fbb.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Surprising lack of quality will lead to tight races in fbb.

Postby riverrat » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:24 pm

This will be my 4th year playing this craziness. Just finished my draft list cheat sheet. I rank players in groups..A.B.C.D. When its my turn I must draft a player from the highest group that remains.(w/in reason) My A&B groups for SP's and OUTF have only 8 players each!! Shocking!! This means plenty of mediocrity and therefore you must be wise in your picking. Tho the INF positions look to be deeper than ever.
Just for argument, I'll list my A&B groups.
A group-SP:RJ, Santana, Schmidt, Prior, CZamb, Oswalt, Clemens, Peavy
A group OUTF: Beltran, Bonds, Vlad, MRam, Ichuro, Abreau, MCabrera, Sheffield
B group OUTF: Dunn, Edmonds, CLee, Matsuii, Crawford, Pierre, GAnderson, Drew

Mulder/Hudson/Carpenter,Schilling left off because of poor 2nd halves and injuries.

Also, spring training results a player can move up or down.

Whatcha' think?
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:36 pm

One thing, Crawford is a much, much better value than Ichiro. He'll get you more RBI's and a bunch more SB.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:41 pm

I'm not too concerned with Hudson and Schilling, but Mulder scares the beans out of me and Carpenter has a troubled history.

I agree with your general premise, though ... the talent does fall off dramatically after the upper tier.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:43 pm

Pitching has been thin for a few years. I would disagree with your OF as you are drawing the lines too tight IMO. There are always 8-12 superstars, a number of near superstars and then some medicority. I do not think you can say it is any better or worse this year. Sure things in pitching are very rare and a good draft has quite a bit to do with luck too. You show me one analyst that had Soriano as 8th round mediocrity last year. Soriano busted a lot of teams last season and cost a lot of people some fantasy titles I would think. You think he is a safe pick? Yet he will likely go round 1-2 this year? Shoe me one guy who had Beltre even in he first 12 rounds.

Also, Hudson and Schilling will be fine if healthy...their injuries are not career threating arm injuries. Carpenter is not an elite pitcher and it is most optimistic to think he will come anything close to last yea's numbers. Maybe, but hardly early round material. GA...above avg in the OF now.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:50 pm

The more I think about your title the more I think the opposite is true. If there is alot of quality then everyone will have good teams which would result in tight races, if there is a lack of good quality then it will be the good GMs who will probably run away with it in picking the best "mediocore" players. I just think if there is a lack in quality the best GMs will run away with titles, since inept GMs won't make good picks after the quality is gone.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby NZF » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:02 pm

Well for a start I think the SP group is actually the deepest it's ever been.

Schilling, Pedro, Sheets and Halladay all should be in your A group which makes a total of 12 stud pitchers.

Hudson, Ollie Perez, Mulder, Josh Beckett, Vazquez, Mussina and AJ Burnett are the next level down and most of these could prove to be studs this year as well.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lesgrant » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:45 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:I agree with your general premise, though ... the talent does fall off dramatically after the upper tier.

That’s what’s cool about it IMO.

The league is won and lost in the middle to lower rounds. You can’t have a silver bullet pick that will put you in the winner’s circle. You have to really know your stuff.

That’s where this site comes in.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rodg12 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:00 pm

I have to agree with J35J here. I think the exact opposite of your message titel is true. I think the quality is up from what it has been in the past, with a few position exceptions. I mean, look at the closers, this is the most settled group of closers I have seen in the 6 years I've been playing fantasy baseball. I also think the OF and SP are deeper than your rankings. The pitchers New Zealand Fan listed should be included in your top two tiers.
rodg12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mtarail » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:06 pm

blankman wrote:One thing, Crawford is a much, much better value than Ichiro. He'll get you more RBI's and a bunch more SB.

And Crawford will hit at at least 40 points less than Ichiro and get a lot less runs now that Ichiro again has a ton of support behind him with Sexson and Beltre.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:06 pm

Not everyone can see the forest thru the trees.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers