Game Day Ritual - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Game Day Ritual

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Game Day Ritual

Postby Hopper » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:24 am

Is anyone planning on doing [url=http://www.gamedayritual.com/?source=01041##]Game Day Ritual[/url] in 2005? It's a lot different than regular fantasy baseball but could be fun for someone who wants to try something different.
Hopper
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:46 am

How much do they pay you to do this?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Hopper » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:50 am

Nothing. I was just wondering what others opinions were on that system or, if any exist, others like it. Things like drafting negotiations for players with AI, having to use strategy in making a lineup, and drafting players to fit the park you created. I see some potential problems in it though like the FA's $/years in the drafting being influenced by the opinions of the people who run it and also players quitting when they have screwed themselves for a couple of bad years with bad signings. In my opinion, $40 a year to rebuild a team isn't worth it. I'm not saying it's a good system, just wondering what people think about it.
Hopper
T-Ball Trainer

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:11 am

I have to use my brain for a living so I prefer to do simple leagues/games when it comes to my fantasy life. I don't think i'd have enough brain cells left to play something like that. It' would have to be someone a lot smarter then me.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby camtheleaffan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:02 am

Hey guys... just a disclaimer: I am a developer of Game Day Ritual.

Yeah... you're right, if you don't like to think too much when you play fantasy baseball then this is certainly not the game for you.

Just wanted to address the issues introduced as they are good ones. First: the developers really have very little to no control over the size and length of contracts that the free agents sign --- it is almost 100% controlled by "market factors" (i.e. if there is a bidding war for a certain player he will end up with a long-term, large contract; if there is no interest then he will likely capitulate and you'll get him for a steal). So the contracts of players are decided by the other teams in your league, us as developers only control the mood and evaluation method the players use based on their age, expereince, start power, loyalty, etc.

As for team that "screw" themselves long term due to dumb contracts (see Texas Rangers), there are ways to rebuild fairly quickly. There are mechanisms to releive your team of guarenteed contracts (with penalties) but they do work and a team can always get back on its feet pretty quickly if they are savvy. We have been playing this game for several years and these elements are based on the exact issues that you guys have brought up.

Also, dead teams are a non-issue. If someone gives up the "league" can take over the team for the remainder of the season and the AI can operate the club to keep is competitive for the rest of the season.

If you guys have any other questions please feel free to post them here or send us an email at mailto:support@gamedayritual.com and we will be sure to reply.

(Oh, also, if you sign up for the newsletter now you can get 50% off your team this season).
camtheleaffan
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers