Beltran Offers In! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran Offers In!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:39 pm

RynMan wrote:
Boston is older, with a richer history than St. Louis. It's more than just the money.

I really doubt that. He is not worth 11 million a season, which is why he took the offer.
[/quote]

Wasn't the offer only $1 million more per season?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:01 am

DK wrote:
RynMan wrote:
Boston is older, with a richer history than St. Louis. It's more than just the money.

I really doubt that. He is not worth 11 million a season, which is why he took the offer.

Wasn't the offer only $1 million more per season?[/quote]

I honestly couldnt tell you. I dont recall seeing any figures offered by the Cards. If that was the case, then I stand corrected.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:57 am

The Cards total offer to Renteria was only $1 mil less in total than the Sox offer.

Renteria left because the Cardinals only matched the Sox's offers as they increased their deals. He wanted the Cards to put their max offer on the table up front. He refused to understand the financial position the Cards were in. Frankly, the fact that the Cards even tried to match the Sox offers is proof to me that they really wanted him. $11mil/season is a lot to be paying a career .280 BA hitter anywhere - but especially so in St. Louis.

Comfort was not a factor in Renteria's decision. Either way that he goes, he has a team with a rich, deep history, a great fan base, and the potential to win it all again next year. Four games in the WS did not change his mind. His pride was what changed his mind. Renteria went back to Columbia, and he waited to see who would stroke his ego the most. The Sox did, and the Cards didn't. So now he's in Beantown.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers