Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lesgrant » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:03 pm

Rirruto wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I said it at the start of the Beltran mess and I'm sticking to it: Detroit is my dark horse.

Don't count on it:

Rotoworld wrote:The Tigers have often been mentioned as a potential bidder, but it looks like they'll sit this one out. "We are not involved and we have never been involved," Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said. "Where the dollars are just does not make sense in our situation."

You gotta keep an eye on Boras. He'll leak that the Devil has made an offer, just to get the big markets involved.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:20 pm

lesgrant wrote:
Rirruto wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I said it at the start of the Beltran mess and I'm sticking to it: Detroit is my dark horse.

Don't count on it:

Rotoworld wrote:The Tigers have often been mentioned as a potential bidder, but it looks like they'll sit this one out. "We are not involved and we have never been involved," Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said. "Where the dollars are just does not make sense in our situation."

You gotta keep an eye on Boras. He'll leak that the Devil has made an offer, just to get the big markets involved.

I had read that quote but I don't believe anyone is out of it (including the Yanks) until Beltran has signed somewhere. The reporters are "in the know" right now about as much as we are. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:24 pm

Hey Amazinz, how do you like the new avatar, there's nothin wrong with hoping right? :-B
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:26 pm

RynMan wrote:I hope he goes back to the Royals. They have invested so much in him...

Edited for accuracy
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:37 pm

Rirruto wrote:Hey Amazinz, how do you like the new avatar, there's nothin wrong with hoping right? :-B

Heck no. :-D

Try this on for size. This is the site who broke the Kazmir trade story but they also dropped the ball on the Alou signing so take it for what it's worth. None of the big news services have picked it up yet:

http://mets.nyfansites.com/vitalsigns.php?id=456

NYFansites.com wrote:By Mike McGann
January 5, 2005 - Two separate sources within the New York Mets organization tell NYFS that a deal to sign All-Star centerfielder Carlos Beltran may have been reached. The reported deal, for seven years at $112 million would be subject to approval by Major League Baseball and would not be formally announced before tomorrow at the earliest.

NFYS staff made two separate attempts to contact the Mets to get confirmation. On the first, a NYFS reporter was told the team would have no comment, as they were “too busy moving offices.” Another NYFS reporter reached Mets’ chief spokesman Jay Horowitz who declined to address the report. Other sources within the organization contacted by NYFS could not confirm or deny the deal.

Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:41 pm

What did this site actually claim about Alou, did they say we signed him when we really didn't?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:43 pm

Rirruto wrote:What did this site actually claim about Alou, did they say we signed him when we really didn't?

Yes but they reported the Kazmir story two days before it went down. To be fair, they say "supposedly" SF came in and "stole" him from the Mets at the last moment.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:45 pm

This is really insane, how are you taking it?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm

How have the Astros not invested anything in him? They have let Kent and Miller walk out the door so that they can try and save every penny to sign this guy.

And yeah they didn't offer him the largest sum of money, but I guess it would be too refreshing to think that a player could take a lesser some of money to play in an environment that he will be comfortable in (thats to say that he prefers to play in Houston than in New York).

Jus curious....how have the Royals invested anything in Beltran? They didn't attempt to sign him (how could they) and make any changes, as soon as the time came they offed him for a couple of prospects. I understand that they developed him etc if thats what you mean, but I mean what have they done to try and keep him from walking out the door. To me, it seems like the Astros have done that, and he has hardly responded.

I can see where you guys are coming from though, its not like he has been an Astro his whole life. The Adrian Beltre signing p*ssed me off more - but I guess the Dodgers didn't make it appealing enough.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers