What's up with Ichiro? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's up with Ichiro?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's up with Ichiro?

Postby trevisc » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:55 pm

I know he has 4 steals but I didn't get the boy so he could hit .270!

anybody know if he's hurting or what?

i've looked for news articles but can't find any. Any links/articles/news about ichiro would be appreciated!
:-)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:14 pm

Let's face it...no one is afraid of a 140 lb asian dude anymore. I just packaged him and Glavine for Posada and McGriff.
Y`s Guy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:57 pm

I've watched most of the M's games on TV and there's no signs that he's hurting. He's 5 for his last 13 (.385) in his last 3 games and they have a weekend series versus the Tigers, so maybe he'll bump the average up over .300 by Sunday evening. One interesting thing with Ichiro is that he's walking more than he ever did in his first 2 years. He already has 10 walks. His first year (when he hit .350), he had 30 walks in over 700 plate appearances.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:24 pm

Those Ichiro stats from his rookie year bode well for Baldelli. I know it's off topic, but it struck me.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:30 pm

Not to rain on your parade but Ichiro only struck out 53 times in 2001. Badelli is on pace to strike out 170 times.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby HYLRedSox » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:44 pm

I'm sure he won't hit .270 all year, he'll probably get that up to a solid .310, .320. I just think pitchers have figured him out. The great hitters reconfuse the pitchers, so I think this is a big year to determine really how good of a hitter Ichiro really is.
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:17 am

i agree with the last poster, i think pitchers figured him out. his game is more speed than power, so when he's not on base as much, his steals suffer.

i drafted him in the 1st round, like pick #8 last season... i rue that pick. he hit .320 with 30 steals, which is far from .350 with 50 steals, which i wanted to get as a cornerstone for my speed.

that said, i think you can expect better #s from juan pierre, luis castillo, or dave roberts at least for steals. ichiro isn't a special hitter like we all thought he was in '01, so trade him or acquire him as such.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Justise » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:33 am

Plus with lou pinella gone the mariners don't play so agressive anymore.
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:21 am

wow! a lot of different view points here. I think i'll hold on to him for now and see if he continues to raise his average up.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Ichiro

Postby gmonkey » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:40 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Let's face it...no one is afraid of a 140 lb asian dude anymore. I just packaged him and Glavine for Posada and McGriff.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

I just wanted say something to the guy who made the stupidest trade in his fantasy league this year! What's he batting since you traded him?? .390, .400??? Dude, you traded a .339 BA with 18 SB (as of 6/16) for two people batting around .240! Nice, you should scout in the majors.

And what does his race have to do with anything? Ignorance on so many levels...

As Bret Boone said, "When most people are in a slump, they bat .230. When Ichiro is in a slump, he bats .270. He'll be just fine." Looks like he, and everyone who know baseball, were right.

Believe me, he is still feared...in the batters box, on the base paths, and in the field.

Way to go... :-t
gmonkey

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers