Sabermetric books... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sabermetric books...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sabermetric books...

Postby xeifrank » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:13 pm

Could anyone recommend possible the top three sabermetric books that one could find. Forecaster? Bill James? etc...

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:23 pm

Two books that I am looking to buy are Baseball Forecaster by Ron Shandler, and The Bill James Handbook 2005. Not aware of many other credible sources....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby looptid » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:27 pm

Curveball by Jim Albert and Jay Bennett

The book deals with the role of chance in the game. Winner of the 2001 SABR Baseball Research Award, an award given to the best baseball research publications in general, not just covering the field of statistics, but history, biography, and otherwise.

The book can be fairly heavy at times, but fortunately it also serves as a good introduction to statistics and probability. The book starts off using the early table-top baseball games like Strat-o-matic to describe simple models and expands throughout the following chapters. Nonetheless, I couldn't put it down.

Albert and Bennett also wrote a textbook that uses baseball to teach high school students about statistics.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Scott Boras Client » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:31 pm

I just bought my first-ever Baseball Forecaster, and I have to say, I'm very impressed. The pithy player capsules breaking down peripherals, trends and outlook in a few sentences for stars and scrubs alike are pretty interesting. Shandler's good too on the vagaries of forecasting. And they have minor league MLE's, too.

Whereas some of the roto value and draft lists near the end look like they were slapped together by an intern. And they push LIMA/RIMA, on which I'm not entirely sold, at least the way they sell it. I mean, OCab is a LIMA guy but Blalock is not? Who knew?

James had an interesting article on team inefficiency at translating run differentials into wins, as personified by modern-era Red Sox squads. James ended up redoing his runs-created formula this year, I guess, but that only eliminated part of the apparent inefficiency. Then Shandler came, and I started reading that.

[edited for clarity]
Last edited by Scott Boras Client on Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Boras Client
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:36 pm

Thorn and Palmer's Total Baseball is still the end all and be all of the yearly books IMO. Stats upon stats along with excellent ariticles on a wide range of baseball topics.

Baseball Prospectus 2005 should be out pretty soon and is a cheaper alternative and is much more individual analysis focused. I enjoyed reading the last few copies even though there are a few points I disagree on.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:50 pm

To many of the ones listed here, I would add "The Hardball Times Baseball Annual"

http://www.lulu.com/content/85596

A lot of the more interesting stuff is on the web. Look at Primate Studies at Baseballprimer.com for a start.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:08 pm

The Forecaster, BB Prospectus, Total BB are great picks. I would add Bill James BB Historical Abstract.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:09 pm

How could I forget Baseball Prospectus....excuse while I go shoot myself. :~(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:15 am

Win Shares by Bill James is warm book for these cold winter nights.... and a great way to look back at where we have been.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers