MERGED: P.Reese = M's new shortstop - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MERGED: P.Reese = M's new shortstop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:15 pm

Does anyone else find it humorous that Reese might end up on the Mariners. Remember when they tried to get him in the Griffey deal a few years ago, but the Reds called him untouchable. I think that lable has haunted Pokey for his whole career so far.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:08 pm

Talk about a bit of an overpay.

But, Pokey, whenever I'm around, I'll buy you a beer. Thanks. ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:17 pm

talking about killing lopezs value for this year..... but at least pokey will play some good defense for the mariners at SS......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nikku88 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:42 am

I like this deal. Lopez wasn't ready to start in the Majors yet. Sure Pokey can't hit very well, but he is one of the top defensive infielders in the game and a weakness of the M's last year was D.
A one year contract for not much money seems fine to me.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 am

I can see how it sucks for fantasy, but I don't think it's really that bad for REAL baseball value. It looks like his contract will top out at 1.2 mil. I think Lopez will still get a chance to win the job this spring. With Pokey we get a veteran guy with great defense, which might be just what our sorry staff needs. He can play both middle positions and does he play 3rd in emergencies? - so that would be a nice backup for injuries.

Either way Lopez will get to play full time somewhere. From what little I know about him, it seems like he could use some more seasoning. Why not take our time with him and not screw him up like we've seen so many times with other players. If he starts proving us wrong in AAA just call his ass up! ;-D

It's a long long season and I don't think playing it cautious puts us out of a playoff attempt.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:47 am

This is an incentive laden contract. Pokey is a solid addition for the M's, IM (not so humble) O. I wouldn't have drafted him in fantasy anyway, so I don't see the big deal.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby io » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:53 am

the problem is mostly for us Jose Lopez owners in deep leagues ..the kid should play. he's as ready as Bobby Crosby or Khalil Greene were last year. is there any chance they trade Boone or am i dreaming?
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:23 am

Both Pokey and Lopez can play 2B so maybe Boone is on the block but I think it would negate a lot of the good PR from the Sexson/Beltre signings. I also think Lopez could still use some time in AAA. I will be pissed if they stick him on the bench all year. He needs to get some regular playing time somewhere.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

real liefe perspective

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:40 pm

pokey defense >>> lopez defense
pokey offense <<< lopez offense

however... both woulda hit in the 9 hole anyways.

as an M's fan, i like this deal, gives lopez another year to develop, possibly get more time at 2B in the minors in hopes of replacing boone in 2006. also, with addition of pokey, name a better infield defense? safeco is built for pitching and defense is key.
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby El Gaupo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:20 pm

nikku88 wrote:I like this deal. Lopez wasn't ready to start in the Majors yet. Sure Pokey can't hit very well, but he is one of the top defensive infielders in the game and a weakness of the M's last year was D.
A one year contract for not much money seems fine to me.

I disagree. Lopez has nothing left to prove in triple AAA, and unlike fellow rookie BJ Upton who had trouble fielding SS Lopez showed great poise last year.

Seattle could have used the $$$ elsewhere
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers