MERGED: P.Reese = M's new shortstop - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MERGED: P.Reese = M's new shortstop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MERGED: P.Reese = M's new shortstop

Postby BGbootha » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:43 pm

Seattle ready to add Reese at shortstop

LARRY LARUE; The News Tribune
Last updated: January 4th, 2005 02:40 AM
The Seattle Mariners will continue retooling today, when they’ll likely announce the signing of free agent Pokey Reese as their opening night shortstop – a deal with significant consequences.

To make room in their 2005 budget for Reese, Seattle has sold the contract of veteran utilityman Jolbert Cabrera to a Japanese team that approached the Mariners last month.

And rookie infielder Jose Lopez, the 22-year-old who played 57 games in Seattle last season, almost certainly will begin the season in Class AAA Tacoma.

Rushed into service last year after just 74 games with the Rainiers, Lopez played shortstop and batted .232 in Seattle – and while the Mariners were impressed with his abilities, they didn’t think he was a natural shortstop.

Reese, 31, has played the position 293 games in the majors and last season was the Boston shortstop for 71 games. A career .248 hitter, Reese is a “small ball” candidate in the lineup, a player who can bunt and put the ball in play.

After making $1 million last year with the Red Sox, Reese will sign a one-year contract with the Mariners today that will nearly double that, pending the results of a physical.

It’s not the first time Seattle has pursued Reese. When then general manager Pat Gillick was forced into trading Ken Griffey Jr. after the 1999 season, one of the key players he asked for – and didn’t get from Cincinnati – was Reese.

“We’ve gone in a different direction, but we saw that Pokey can play shortstop,” Boston manager Terry Francona said. “He made some unbelievable plays for us last season.”

With Reese on board, the Mariners are close to the 2005 budgeted payroll, and their search for a starting pitcher will move from the pursuit of free agents to a search for a viable trade.

That would likely have to involve one of two Seattle outfielders, Randy Winn or Raul Ibañez.

As for Reese, the Mariners were hardly his only suitors this offseason. Boston offered him arbitration, and three National League teams offered him contracts.

What the Mariners offered was the chance to be their starting shortstop, and that was the deal-maker.

An athletic infielder who has stolen as many as 38 bases in a season – and 25 or more four times in his eight-year career – Reese batted .221 last season in 244 at-bats. Over the past two years, injuries have held him to a total of 133 games.

The reports the Mariners received on Reese, however, led them to believe he’s capable of playing at least 135 games at shortstop next season.

Cabrera, 32, could have returned to the team in 2005 as a reserve, coming off a year in which he played 113 games and batted .270 while playing seven positions in Seattle.

When a Japanese team approached the Mariners about Cabrera, however, it was clear they planned to offer him a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract – and the Mariners saw a way to save salary and make a popular player happier. Larry LaRue:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/st ... 0082c.html

I don't know about this. The biggest thing is the shot to Lopez.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

P.Reese = M's new shortstop

Postby tds1273 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:43 pm

from rotoworld

The Mariners are likely to sign Pokey Reese to replace Jose Lopez at shortstop.
Reese will get a deal worth about $2 million if he passes a physical. This might be the second consecutive January in which the Mariners have spent more money in order to downgrade at shortstop. Reese is certainly a better defender than Lopez, but he hit .221/.271/.303 last season and .215/.271/.262 in limited action in 2003. $2 million is at least twice what he deserves.
Source: Tacoma News Tribune
tds1273
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby denvermax » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:49 pm

Oh.... my.....god

How could I think the M's could go an offseason without making a ridicuously terrible move? How? :-/
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BGbootha » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:53 pm

denvermax wrote:Oh.... my.....god

How could I think the M's could go an offseason without making a ridicuously terrible move? How? :-/

I was thinking the same thing! :~( :-t :~(
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:58 pm

What the?! 8-o

Does this give Beltre and Sexson the right to cancel their new contracts?
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby denvermax » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:02 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:What the?! 8-o

Does this give Beltre and Sexson the right to cancel their new contracts?

Quiet... ;-)
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:04 pm

Im just curious as to why people are throwing up so much objection? No doubt Pokey Reese is no superstar, and is barely a starter, but who else is out there? Is Lopez realistically ready for the bigs? Reese will bring some solid defense and replacement level offense, but with what is out there, Reese is about it. As long as the deal is 1 year, I dont have a huge problem with it. If its any more than 1 million dollars, then I do have a problem.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BGbootha » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:09 pm

RynMan wrote:Im just curious as to why people are throwing up so much objection? No doubt Pokey Reese is no superstar, and is barely a starter, but who else is out there? Is Lopez realistically ready for the bigs? Reese will bring some solid defense and replacement level offense, but with what is out there, Reese is about it. As long as the deal is 1 year, I dont have a huge problem with it. If its any more than 1 million dollars, then I do have a problem.

my problem is that you are absolutely right, reese is an OK player, who the Mariners are looking at paying 2M to. that 2M is going to put them right about up to the point where they don't have the money to sign someone else. Thus they are going to have to trade, (more than likely Ibanez, Winn) for another Pitcher which they need.

So the question really comes down to this. Wuould I rather have the 2M or Pokey. I think the 2M wins pretty easily!!!
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:21 pm

BGbootha wrote:
RynMan wrote:Im just curious as to why people are throwing up so much objection? No doubt Pokey Reese is no superstar, and is barely a starter, but who else is out there? Is Lopez realistically ready for the bigs? Reese will bring some solid defense and replacement level offense, but with what is out there, Reese is about it. As long as the deal is 1 year, I dont have a huge problem with it. If its any more than 1 million dollars, then I do have a problem.

my problem is that you are absolutely right, reese is an OK player, who the Mariners are looking at paying 2M to. that 2M is going to put them right about up to the point where they don't have the money to sign someone else. Thus they are going to have to trade, (more than likely Ibanez, Winn) for another Pitcher which they need.

So the question really comes down to this. Wuould I rather have the 2M or Pokey. I think the 2M wins pretty easily!!!

fair enough! :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:09 pm

What do they really gain with reese? yes he is awesome on defense but sucks with the stick.Hell Lopez is a decent shortstop and will only get better by playing in the majors. And they save money.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers