Does Draft position matter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does Draft position matter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does Draft position matter?

Postby lbbaseball14 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:29 pm

I saw the thread about how to choose draft position but the question I have is does draft position matter? If you had first choice in where you would want to draft at in a 10 team league what would it be? Obviously draft position could help you land a certain player but is there any one spot that wins more often than others?
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:33 pm

i have never seen a league where it helps to draft first, middle, or last...... actually if i had a choice in a 10 team league i would pick last, as i like the idea of having 2 picks back to back and also getting 2 of the top 11 players in baseball at the same time......... but it dont matter where your draft position is,,,it comes down to more things than that...........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:41 pm

For most standard leagues (10-12) it doesn't really matter that much IMO. I'm like raiders in that I'd like to have the last pick in a snake draft to get two good players rather than theoretically the best and 20th best. Most of it comes down to what you do with the picks I think. There usually aren't too many spectacular busts in the first rounds, it's what you can find later in the draft, where position isn't as much of a factor.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby xeifrank » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:42 pm

I think it really depends on two things. #1 - is there one or two players that are far and above much better than the rest. If so, then you want to be in a draft position to snag them, which means drafting first overall. This dynamic changes from year to year. #2 - what is the experience level and knowledge of the other owners in your league. If they are all very knowledgeable then it wouldn't matter much where you drafted, but that usually isn't the case. There are usually a couple of owners who aren't quite up to snuff. If that is the case you want to draft below them. You want to be able to pick up value later in the first round. If you have three inexperienced owners drafting ahead of you and they let the next most valuable player slip through the cracks, you can snag that player and pick up a player at perhaps the #8 overall pick, that should've gone 5th or 6th, and then pick before those other three teams when the draft snakes back to you in the 2nd round.

jmho.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby cannonarm21 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:46 pm

I don't think it matters. I do agree with the above post that I would pick last if given a choice.

During a baseball draft, people go in such different directions. You may be looking to grab a 2B, while one person is looking for a SP, another may be searching for a catcher or reliever. You have so many positions to fill. The draft sort of leads you in a certain direction of building your team, which may result in you not necessarily taking the best player available every pick.

In fantasy football a monkey can take the next best QB,WR or RB on the board, but in baseball each pick needs to be made with keeping in mind what positions may be more available later on.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ensanimal » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:47 pm

agree with the rest, there is no real advantage as to where you draft, it is how you draft that is important. this year, if i don't have a top 3 pick, i'd rather go last in the first round. after pujols/beltran/vlad, no one really stands out, and any of them could be picked at the same spot in the draft.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:50 pm

I like drafting nearer to the ends than the middle. It's easier to plan from because you have a better idea of who will and won't be around when its your turn. Less headaches guessing where other people are headed, especially is you have some "target" players that you don't want to be forced int o drafting too early.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ayebatter » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:52 pm

if I'm not #1 then let me be last in the first and first in the second.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:57 pm

i read a study one time (cant remember where) that said drafting in the first positions in a roto league snake draft gave the best chances to win. however, the way they came to that conclusion was to make a few assumptions. first, they assumed the players would perform exactly to their projections (i.e. they assumed their cheat sheet was exactly correct). then they made everyone draft according to the same cheat sheet and calculated the results. in reality though, everyone has a differenct degree of knowledge (working with different cheat sheets) and players dont always perform to expectations (injuries, slumps, whatever). also, runs occur at certain positions and so forth. so basically i have no idea what the best draft position is for a snake draft. personally i like something in the middle or the top. the middle position usually gives you a better chance to not get stuck at the end of a run. a top position gives you a shot at a premier player. i dont really care for last pick.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:27 pm

Personally, I like the final spot. Why? Because I usually go hitter/pitcher with the two consecutive picks. That being said, I think if you're drafting just for the best possible person at any position (which most people do the first two rounds), the top picks are best. I think the difference between Pujols and a late first rounder is greater than the difference between the 11th and 20th pick.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers