Yanks not pursuing Beltran?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks not pursuing Beltran??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:31 pm

nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:They don't need any more offense...They would be better off using the beltran money for some relief pitchers or speed on the basepaths...

Beltran would be nice but offense obviously isn't the yanks problem

The need is not offense. It's this question: Who will play CF for the Yanks in 2006, 2007 etc?

I understand that thinking - really I do. The best CF in the game is on the market so why not get him.

BUT

It's not like the Yankees have been hard pressed to make deals. I'm pretty sure they could pass on Beltran and get a CF, either through free agency or more likely a trade, in a year or so. Andruw Jones is one name that comes to mind.

That is true. That's why I personally don't care if he's in pinstripes this year. I know the Yankees will get someone else when the time comes. I just want a great pitching staff.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:42 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:They don't need any more offense...They would be better off using the beltran money for some relief pitchers or speed on the basepaths...

Beltran would be nice but offense obviously isn't the yanks problem

The need is not offense. It's this question: Who will play CF for the Yanks in 2006, 2007 etc?

I understand that thinking - really I do. The best CF in the game is on the market so why not get him.

BUT

It's not like the Yankees have been hard pressed to make deals. I'm pretty sure they could pass on Beltran and get a CF, either through free agency or more likely a trade, in a year or so. Andruw Jones is one name that comes to mind.

That is true. That's why I personally don't care if he's in pinstripes this year. I know the Yankees will get someone else when the time comes. I just want a great pitching staff.

Speaking of pitching staff, I think Beltran would make that staff even better with strong defense, and not just the future, but this year. That to me makes it worth it. The offense is great now, but you also have to see that no one is getting younger and Sheffield can't continue to produce like he has forever. Putting Beltran in CF solidifies the defense in that position for years to come and adds a bat that may be needed in the future.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby TriplePlay » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:26 pm

Isn't Juan Pierre a free agent after next year? He would be a nice fit in the bronx. Good leadoff hitter, can steal bases, knows how to bunt, and can chase em down in the outfield. All for probably less then half of what Beltran will get
TriplePlay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:38 pm

I don't think the Yankees need to spend money on the relief pitching...I read on espn.com that the Yanks relief pitching was worth 19 million alone.... 8-o I'll try to find the link
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:47 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:
I don't think the Yankees need to spend money on the relief pitching...I read on espn.com that the Yanks relief pitching was worth 19 million alone.... 8-o I'll try to find the link

You sure its not more?

Rivera must be making about 10 and I believe Karsay gets 6 with FRod at least 3, so thats 19 right there :-?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:52 pm

I hate the comment "We don't need Beltran now, we'll just get someone good when he comes on the market later," but it's completely true. Yankees don't need Beltran, they can just buy another player when the time comes.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:05 pm

acsguitar wrote:They would be better off using the beltran money for some relief pitchers or speed on the basepaths

So don't buy the most successful basestealer of all time... because they should really be spending money on speed on the basepaths :-D I know what you mean, I think, but it sonds a bit weird.

Anyway Yankee fans should be happy if Steinhitler doesn't pursue Beltran. He's going to spend a boatload of money anyway; at least make wise investments with it. Beltran is going to be a giant waste of money. Let the Mets or Dodgers give him a go (although I doubt DePodesta would do that - but ya never know maybe all this cash is clouding his judgement).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:50 pm

LBJackal wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Beltran is going to be a giant waste of money. Let the Mets or Dodgers give him a go (although I doubt DePodesta would do that - but ya never know maybe all this cash is clouding his judgement).

Jus curious Jackal why you think signing him is a waste of money? I dont disagree with you, as I personally object to signing any player to that amount of money for that amount of time. I was just wondering if it is that you don't think he is a good enough player, or that that money could be spent better elsewhere etc. I think he is a legitimate superstar....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers