100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MOCK DRAFT RESULTS: Critique

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sure

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:41 am

This is the link, but I think you have to be a member:

http://www.mockdraftcentral.com/draft_grid.jsp?id=2939
D-Mat, Schilling, Beckett, and Papelbon - Wow!
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Funny you say that

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:42 am

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:I won 9/12 leagues last year punting SB. I guess the "guarantee" didn't work those times.

I agree on K ratio, but lets not forget he's pretty tough in ERA and WHIP. I can build K's around him. And he's headed to Atlanta, not St. Louis.

let me qualify that then - in competitive roto leagues where all 12 managers are active, punting any catagory is a guaranteed way to not win.

ATL not STL - oops :-]
I knew that. Actually his %s should be coming down slightly with the switch to the NL. I do like Hudson, I just think you are too high on him. I can see you being able to get him in the 3rd rd of most drafts, so 2nd rd is tough for meto agree with.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Come on

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:46 am

"competitive" cornbread. I'm in very competitive leagues. Only 2 were not private. Each are groups of baseball fanatics. I take offense to the comment that they're not competitive. Most of the guys are on here too.

Its just that they're arent actually a ton of SB guys who offer more than one category. So I figure the random guys I put together will put me somewhere near the half water mark. My scoring typically looks like:

AVG: 12 pts
HR: 10 Pts
R: 11 Pts
RBI: 10 pts
SB: 4 pts
W: 12 Pts
S: 12 Pts
ERA: 10 Pts
WHIP: 10 pts

That's a team total of 91 (uaually enough to win)
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cannonarm21 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:51 am

It's letting me look at it, thank you.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: MOCK DRAFT RESULTS: Critique

Postby Erboes » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:01 am

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:The following draft was done at Mockdraftcentral. Without posting the entire draft, what do you think of the players taken with respect to the round. Any stupid moves? Any nice picks? 12 teams in the league, 5x5 scoring.

The mandated roster was: C (2), 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, MI, CI, OF (5), Util, Pitcher (9)

1: Johan Santana
2: Tim Hudson
3. Nomar Garciaparra
4. Hank Blalock
5. Mark Texiera
6. Ivan Rodriguez
7. Oliver Perez
8. Mark Mulder
9. Garret Anderson
10. Troy Percival
11. Troy Glaus
12. Aaron Roward
13. Larry Walker
14. Braden Looper
15. Guillermo Mota
16. Ken Griffey, Jr.
17. Todd Walker
18. Mark Buerhle
19. BJ Ryan
20. Lyle Overbay
21. David Eckstein
22. Toby Hall
23. Eric Byrnes

Not to be overly critcal, but what in the world were you thinking about in picks 2-4? Cornbread's right about Hudson. Why would you take a guy with a total of 103 K's last season with your second pick? A good rule of thumb is to never take a low K guy early in any draft. Plus, he is leaving the comfort of a pitcher's park in Oakland to a decent hitting park in Atlanta and is coming off a down-right mediocre season.

Then Nomar in the third defies logic. You got a guy who is now hitting out of Fenway, an injury risk, and in a lineup that will have less runners on base when he comes to bat than Sri Lanka now has sunbathers, but yet you take him in the third? I wouldn't touch him in the first ten rounds.

Cornbread is also right about Blalock. For him to go so high you and be of value at such a deep position he would need to improve greatly from last season (where he was only average in mixed leagues) -- are you sure he can do that?

Cornbread is also right about punting any category, but only in competive leagues. In non-competitive leagues you probably could punt a couple cats and still win if you are competent.

You had some nice picks, but those 2-4 picks could kill you. You would be wise to listen to Cornbread, he knows what he is talking about.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Come on

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:03 am

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:"competitive" cornbread. I'm in very competitive leagues. Only 2 were not private. Each are groups of baseball fanatics. I take offense to the comment that they're not competitive. Most of the guys are on here too.

Its just that they're arent actually a ton of SB guys who offer more than one category. So I figure the random guys I put together will put me somewhere near the half water mark. My scoring typically looks like:

Look - I dont mean to upset you or demean your accomplishments. However, I will not sit here and agree that punting SBs in roto is acceptable - its not. I dont really care about your situational anecdotes that to you prove me wrong. I wasnt there and dont know the exact details on how you pulled it off, in fact, I thought you were playing some kind of points or h2h style to be honest.

You can never ever ever ever completely punt a cat in roto and still win unless the rest of your league allows it by their ineptitude. Sorry, but you arent going to change my mind on this.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:16 am

you made some picks that i like and you also made some picks i did not agree with....

the picks i liked

texeira in 5, ollie in 7, GA in 9, glaus in 11.....

the 3 picks i dont like is hudson at 2(but considering your reasoning i understand and there is probably a chance he would not make it back to you in 3)....and blalock at 4(again glaus at 11 was much better value than blalock at 4, but i am not a big fan of blalock,,,,but if he can put a whole season together this year, then he will be worth this pick).....and griffey at 16(that is still just way too early for me to pick him up)

overall not bad a little pitching heavy, but u can use that depth to improve your outfield and your stolen bases a bit.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:20 am

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:That's a team total of 91 (uaually enough to win)

i have never played in a 12 team roto 5x5 that it did not take at least 100 points to win the league.....91 points will usually put u in 3rd or 4th spot......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:45 am

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:"competitive" cornbread. I'm in very competitive leagues. Only 2 were not private. Each are groups of baseball fanatics. I take offense to the comment that they're not competitive. Most of the guys are on here too.

I think that you got the title to your thread wrong. It says Mock Draft: Critique and not Mock Draft: Please Praise.

Your later picks were good but the early picks will kill you. You may be able to punt SB in 6x6 but in standard 5x5 Cornbread is right, you cannot punt a cat like that and expect to win.

I'm a big Buehrle fan and think that he was a steal in the 18th.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Okay

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback.....

I disagree on Hudson. Look beyond just last year's stats. As do the two national sites I use. They had him as the #11 overall.

(Nomar is a longshot there, but he proves me wrong on every projection I've had on him, so I went opposite of my gut.)
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers