OMG Fantasy Baseball has just ceased to EXIST! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OMG Fantasy Baseball has just ceased to EXIST!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: you know...

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:42 am

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:This is the worst thread I've ever seen in the cafe

:-*
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:25 pm

RynMan wrote:Fantasy baseball has opened my mind up to the world of baseball and increased my love for the game. I have played baseball since I was 5 and every season up to now (16 years) and only this season am I beginning to understand what this game is really about. Fantasy BB has taught me to look at the statistics of the best players in the game and look into what these stats can tell me etc about his performance. Just recently I have discovered Baseball Prospectus and am subscribing to the theories that those guys along with Ron Shandler and Bill James share on the game and breaking it down into the performance metrics that contain the most relevance for how the game is played and evaluating a player. So FB has taken me deep into the world of the analysis of the game, but it has also helped me lok at my personal game and how I can better my performance. I play A-grade baseball in Australia and have improved my pitch selection and improved my strikeout to walk ration to around 1 to 4, and my average, power, OBP etc has benefited. The reason im saying this is that fantasy isnt just a game in many senses, it a learning curve. It has taught me to think more about this game instead of just going along with tradition, and to ask questions about different aspects of the game. Gotta love it. :-D
excellent post :)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby lesgrant » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:33 pm

I would still follow baseball via my favorite team. But, fantasy baseball has undoubtedly increased my knowledge and interest in the game, it’s players and ballparks.

One thing that would change would be that I’d no longer have an excuse to buy the MLB Season Ticket every year. :~(
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tds1273 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:09 pm

I actually understand where you are coming from Sticky. Though I am a Ms fan first and foremost and would get by with out fantasy baseball. I went through the same thing with football, which is kind of funny since I always played football growing up but didnt play baseball beyond little league. I have always been a huge Raider fan ever since Bo, but then as I got into fantasy football I slowly became less of a team fan and more of a player and idividual stats fan. It really hits you when you are watching your team yet you also find your self rooting for players on the other team, instead of hoping for a score of 45-0 you want your guys to just squeak by 48-45. Fortunately fantasy sports havent and likely never will pull me away from the Ms, they did take control and turn me from a hardcore Raider fan to just a casual follower.
tds1273
College Coach
College Coach

Re: you know...

Postby jonnyblack » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:51 pm

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:This is the worst thread I've ever seen in the cafe

This is the biggest cry baby, spoil sport I have ever seen at The Cafe. Well, maybe not the worst.

Nice posts Sticky and others, keep up the good work.

I have loved the game since i can remember having any memory at all. I started playing a form of Fantasy baseball in 1985, when I was 10 years old. For me, the two have always co-exsisted. I love, and will always love my team (The Cards), but I also have my favorite players, too. Yes, Nolan Ryan Trev, good call. I'll throw in Dale Murphy, Kirk Gibson, Doc Gooden, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Pudge, Johnny Bench, Curt Schilling (just to name a few in my lifetime).

As a Cardinal fan, I am lucky recently. The team has made long term committments to Scott Rolen and Albert Pujols, two of the games biggest stars (I only wish Renteria would have been part of that long term plan, but hey, we aint the Yankees.) I have adjusted to the days where players move around from team to team. Though it may not be ideal, like seeing The Wizard at SS EVERY year, it is still nice to see the GM of my favorite team do his best to put a contender on the field. To me, this adds another aspect to the game, thereby making it more interesting, and indirectly, making it more like fantasy baseball. God Bless This Game, no matter what.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby hooligan1 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:45 pm

A few years ago, it was hockey or nothing for me. Then I also slowly got into football and had a basketball phase, but just never really hit it off with baseball. I had played some Teeball and Little League as a kid, but was never very athletic and had coaches who didn't push fun and participation, just winning. As a result I was usually counting daisies in left field and as I grew older, just never really felt connected to the game. Then about three years ago, some of my buddies were looking for some more people to fill in some vacancies in their fantasy baseball league. They approached me, knowing that I enjoyed and had played and won some fantasy football, basketball and hockey leagues. I initially turned them down, suggesting that I didn't know enough about it, wouldn't check my team very often, blah blah, etc etc. They persisted and, long story short, I am now a bonafide Baseball Junkie. I watch all I can, I can't join enough fantasy leagues, I eagerly slog through Franchise Mode on MVP Baseball 2004, now we're playing in an off-season Strat-O-Matic league and I'm convinced I'm going to order XM Radio next year on account of their picking up the MLB contract!!! I am hooked......!!!! I am quite certain that if it weren't for fantasy baseball, I would not know and love this sport the way I do today. I live and breathe it.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:51 pm

id still be a big baseball fan if fantasy sports didnt exist but i probably wouldnt be as hardcore checking out box scores and statistics everyday
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:55 am

Peeps mean "your people"... meaning your circle of close friends.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers