OMG Fantasy Baseball has just ceased to EXIST! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OMG Fantasy Baseball has just ceased to EXIST!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OMG Fantasy Baseball has just ceased to EXIST!

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:15 am

If this could happen, where would you stand as a baseball fan? Think about it. If the IDEA of fantasy baseball didn't even exist today, do you think you could honestly guess where you would stand on baseball as a fan?

I think I might really no longer be a fan, but at least certainly not love the game as much as I have in the past. It's pretty incredible to me to think I couldn't be a fan any longer because baseball to me is more than what's going on in the game - it's like a social tradition to me and friends/family.

What really gets me thinking about this is basketball. When I was in high school, I was a hardcore fan of the Blazers. I even kept track of their W/L and game scores on a piece of paper on my fridge. I lived and died in every game. Around that same time (early 90's) I joined a Fantasy Basketball league. I began feeling a disconnect with my home team. Eventually I stopped following my team except to look in the paper the next day. When I tired of Fantasy Basketball and dropped it, I've not been back to the game AT ALL. I don't even watch games on TV now. I'd rather watch sitcom reruns. Now granted, I don't have the same connection with basketball as I do with baseball, but this experience is something I can reflect upon.

So what would be my biggest beef with baseball? I think I'll throw out steroids because I still feel we're at the tip of the iceberg. The biggest thing for me is the degree of player movement. Part of the joy of having a home team is getting to know the players and being comfortable with them. It's like they become part of your baseball "family." I remember many people would collect baseball cards of players on their home team. You can't even do that anymore.

I think in general what makes me sick is that WE should own this game - the fans. We are always forced to take a back seat to MONEY (owners, players, networks, etc). It sucks.

The only way I console myself is with fantasy baseball. I feel like I have some control. I see the players as MY pawns and I can do with them what I please. If it were determined tomorrow that baseball was plagued league-wide with steroid abuse, I would still play fantasy.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope to get some feedback and your experiences with these same feelings.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:17 am

And yet another thing O:-)

I don't have a child, but if I did, would I pass on my love of baseball to them? Sure, but it would be with stories of the past and the actual playing of the game. I just don't respect today's game.

I might pass along my love of fantasy baseball though... }:-)
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:26 am

I was a Braves fan long before I played fantasy baseball. I was also a Ken Griffey, Jr fan, a Alex Rodriguez fan, and Ivan Rodriguez fan, a Nolan Ryan fan, a ...well..you get the picture. When I discovered that I could play a game that allowed me to have all my favorite players on one team and keep up with them and earn points from their performance I was hooked. Fantasy baseball has definitely made me more aware of who is who in the league and what they are projected to do and things like that but there is still a deep down love of the game for me. I can sit and watch the Braves play with my son and tell him about the good ol days when no one talked about the drugs they were on and people paid to see and ejoyed a 1-0 pitching duel. I love the game and if there was no fantasy baseball I'd still love it.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:37 am

I could see that. I bet if I had a child and I had the opportunity to pass my love along to them and maybe even see it through their non-jaded eyes, it would help re-kindle an active love for major league baseball.

I noticed you used the term "deep down" and I wondered if that was just because fantasy has taken that much of a priority for you or if it's a combination of fantasy and the state of the game.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:45 am

i used that term because I mean its deeply rooted and even if there weren't mega super stars who could earn me a championship in fantasy sports, i'd still enjoy the game for what it is and i'd still watch it. If there was no fantasy baseball i'd still tune in. I'm the kind of person that actually enjoys going and watching our local Minor league team play. It's just a fun atmosphere for kids and for the family and the players usually are doing there best so the games are really good.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:29 am

Fantasy baseball has opened my mind up to the world of baseball and increased my love for the game. I have played baseball since I was 5 and every season up to now (16 years) and only this season am I beginning to understand what this game is really about. Fantasy BB has taught me to look at the statistics of the best players in the game and look into what these stats can tell me etc about his performance. Just recently I have discovered Baseball Prospectus and am subscribing to the theories that those guys along with Ron Shandler and Bill James share on the game and breaking it down into the performance metrics that contain the most relevance for how the game is played and evaluating a player. So FB has taken me deep into the world of the analysis of the game, but it has also helped me lok at my personal game and how I can better my performance. I play A-grade baseball in Australia and have improved my pitch selection and improved my strikeout to walk ration to around 1 to 4, and my average, power, OBP etc has benefited. The reason im saying this is that fantasy isnt just a game in many senses, it a learning curve. It has taught me to think more about this game instead of just going along with tradition, and to ask questions about different aspects of the game. Gotta love it. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:47 am

I'd still be a baseball fan. Was my favorite game growing up, and while I love college football as well, nothing takes the place of going to a game (only wish The Trop was outdoor).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby nikku88 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:55 am

I was a baseball fan first, which is why I like Fantasy baseball more than football/basketball, so I would still enjoy the game. What fantasy baseball has done for me is that it has make me more interested/to pay more attention to teams like the Pirates and Brewers, etc. B-)
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

you know...

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:13 am

This is the worst thread I've ever seen in the cafe
D-Mat, Schilling, Beckett, and Papelbon - Wow!
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:30 am

Baseball for me is so much more than Fantasy. Although I have been hooked since starting in 2000 (My wife thinks I'm insane), baseball would still be a passion regardless if fantasy existed or not.

I look at baseball as one of the few historical bridges in our countries history that draw all generations to a field of commonality. Baseball has been with this country through the Spanish-American war, World War I, World War II, The Depression, Elvis, Vietnam and so on. The country goes through tough times, changes, and yet the legacy of baseball is still there.

You can have a 90 year old grandfather arguing with his great-great-grandson that "The Babe" was better than Bonds. What else in our society brings generations together like that?

The tradition of the old ball parks. I went to Wrigley two years ago, I hope to visit Fenway and Yankee stadium some day soon. The smell of the grass when you walk into the stadium sends chills down my spine.

I grew up a Cleveland Indians fan. Luis Tiant, "Sudden Sam McDowell, Andre Thorton, George Hendrick, Charlie Spikes, Buddy Bell, Gregg Nettles, etc. Even tough they sucked I followed them religiously.

I have followed the Braves since moving to Atlanta in 1982. The greatest experience in baseball will forever be the Braves run for the playoffs in 1991. This city was bubbling over with excitement everywhere. Tomahawks everwhere. The feeling inside Fulton County stadium when everyone was chanting was un-believable!

Sorry about the length, but baseball is the greatest sport on earth!

wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers