Please say it ain't so... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please say it ain't so...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:12 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:This got me thinking, what exactly are the Cubs doing? They have the best 1,2,3 SP combo in MLB. They have money to spend.

Alou 11.5, Clement 6, and Alex Gonzalez 5.5 are all gone.
Plus these contracts end after 2005.
Sosa 17 – 4.5 buyout = 12.5
Perez 1
Remlinger 3.8
Dempster 2
Borowski 2.5
Nomar 8
Walker 2.5

Maddux has a 2006 options he might or might not meet and Hawkins has a 3.5 player option for 2006.

So with great SP, contracts coming off the books, and a sold out stadium all the time the Cubs are going after Burnitz? :*) I'm not saying they should overpay for Beltran or anything but Burnitz?

Aram, Zambrano, Prior and a few others all got raises this offseason but they still have plenty of money to spend. Coming into the offseason I wanted to sign Nomar, a leadoff man and a closer. It looks like I'll get neither of the last two as all the good closers are off the market unless they can swing a deal for Urbina and Hendry seems ok with having Patterson as a leadoff man. So unless we somehow get Beltran this offseason will be a failure IMO.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:22 am

Mustangs989 wrote:Aram, Zambrano, Prior and a few others all got raises this offseason but they still have plenty of money to spend. Coming into the offseason I wanted to sign Nomar, a leadoff man and a closer. It looks like I'll get neither of the last two as all the good closers are off the market unless they can swing a deal for Urbina and Hendry seems ok with having Patterson as a leadoff man. So unless we somehow get Beltran this offseason will be a failure IMO.
Mustangs: Aramis Ramirez, Corey Patterson, Carlos Zambrano, Michael Barrett and Kyle Farnsworth were all arbitration eligible. I hadn't heard anything, did any of them sign or are they all going to arbitration?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby Erboes » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:29 am

I have no clue what the Cubs are doing. I wrote a month ago on Rotoguys.com and pled for the Cubs to trade Sosa, forget Nomar and sign Cabrera, and trade for Matt Lawton. This would have given them a top of the order that gets on base, steals some bases, and, something that they completely lack right now, take some pitches. But now they are stuck with Patterson hitting leadoff, Sosa fourth or fifth, Nomar third, and Walker second. Adding Burnitz to the mix and they are decidedly worse off than last season. That is ineptitude, folks.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:40 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:Aram, Zambrano, Prior and a few others all got raises this offseason but they still have plenty of money to spend. Coming into the offseason I wanted to sign Nomar, a leadoff man and a closer. It looks like I'll get neither of the last two as all the good closers are off the market unless they can swing a deal for Urbina and Hendry seems ok with having Patterson as a leadoff man. So unless we somehow get Beltran this offseason will be a failure IMO.
Mustangs: Aramis Ramirez, Corey Patterson, Carlos Zambrano, Michael Barrett and Kyle Farnsworth were all arbitration eligible. I hadn't heard anything, did any of them sign or are they all going to arbitration?

Hendry usually doesn't like to go to an arbitrator, in fact I can't remember the last time he did. I'm pretty sure a deal has been worked out for Barrett, the rest I'm not sure about. They've been looking to sign ARam long term as he's a f/a after this season.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lil' Doug Dascenzo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:57 am

I agree that Dusty should give Dubois every chance to win that spot in spring training, but I understand why they would want Burnitz just as a safety net in case the kid bombs.
Lil' Doug Dascenzo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:42 pm

I wish Burnitz was still with the Rockies. If anyone needed the Coors boost, he did.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers