Time To Stir The Pot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time To Stir The Pot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:01 am

Interesting that the only arguement is "One is safe and one isnt".
Its ok for our athletes to take all the chemical enhancements they want, just as long as they are safe chemical enchancements.
So, who told you one is safe and one isn't? The Drug companies? The FDA? Actually, while we are at it .. Anybody catch the news on Prozac today? :-°
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31630
(Past Year: 1147)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants8307 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:13 am

wrveres wrote:Interesting that the only arguement is "One is safe and one isnt".
Its ok for our athletes to take all the chemical enhancements they want, just as long as they are safe chemical enchancements.
So, who told you one is safe and one isn't? The Drug companies? The FDA? Actually, while we are at it .. Anybody catch the news on Prozac today? :-°


I think that's exactly the argument. We don't want players hurting themselves, and we don't want our kids' role models teaching our kids to hurt themselves. As we find out more about these supplements, more will become frowned upon and even banned. However, simple high doses of protein wouldn't really harm the body, it would just be excreted. So the "typical" GNC products like whey protein I wouldn't suspect will be found to be harmful.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1942
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby sockeye » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:45 am

coachdino wrote: That being said, when I pay big bucks to whatch these guys play I want to see the best. If some moron wants to shoot himself in the ass so he can give me a better show, who am I to stop him. I just want to know when he goes on it so I can draft him on my fantasy team.
Maybe i'll name my team the Juice Monkeys :-?


I have a different issue with the steroids. I love the history and tradition of baseball; these are, I think, why it outshines the other major sports. All the historical yardsticks are meaningful, and give a strong linkage to the past - Ted Williams is timeless to me not because I saw him play, but because his numbers have held up so well over time. And Cal Ripken's streak was so terrific because so many careers came and went beween he and Gehrig.

I'm a lot more interested when I know that someone has doen something truly meaningful than when I figure he's just a super-motivated guy with good access to a chemist and a fat wallet.

The only thing I find comparable to steroids is Tommy John surgery. Somehow taking tissue from dead people to extend your career erodes a bit of your historical context. It's still not as bad as steroids, though, because it doesn't force your colleagues to take health risks just to keep up with you.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 492
Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:56 am

what is the current morally accepted standard on Creatine ? How is it different? Heck kids can easily buy creatine or D-Ribose or an Anabolic Matrix Kit at GNC. Whats the difference?



-------------------------
oh hey, look what I found bouncing around the GNC site ..
Luis Gonzalez Rehab Journal
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31630
(Past Year: 1147)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:22 am

I was over at baseball almanac and stumbled upon this .. It somehow seemed fitting for our discussion here.

"I've cheated, or someone on my team has cheated, in almost every single game I've been in." Rogers Hornsby
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31630
(Past Year: 1147)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:20 am

the bottom line is there are rules and if you get caught breaking them you should have to pay the price. I think if you get a big contract based on your ability to crush the ball and it is proven that you have done illegal substances then your contract should be voided. If the commishioner let it be a free for all roids fest then the MLB would become like wrestling and no one would take it seriously. It would be like a circus or a freak show.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:14 am

wrveres wrote:what is the current morally accepted standard on Creatine ? How is it different? Heck kids can easily buy creatine or D-Ribose or an Anabolic Matrix Kit at GNC. Whats the difference?



-------------------------
oh hey, look what I found bouncing around the GNC site ..
Luis Gonzalez Rehab Journal


Creatine is naturally present. Steroids are not.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby coachdino » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:11 pm

trevisc wrote:
the bottom line is there are rules and if you get caught breaking them you should have to pay the price. I think if you get a big contract based on your ability to crush the ball and it is proven that you have done illegal substances then your contract should be voided. If the commishioner let it be a free for all roids fest then the MLB would become like wrestling and no one would take it seriously. It would be like a circus or a freak show.


Do you think owners would want contracts voided? I think the owners of the San Francisco Giants are very happy with what they have received from their investment in Bonds the last few years. I find it interesting that you say people would not find it interesting if athletes were on roids...as far as I know the most anticipated event in the summer olympics is the 100 metres, and that wouldn't be as exciting if it weren't for roids.[/quote]
coachdino
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 267
Joined: 31 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:14 pm

coachdino wrote:..as far as I know the most anticipated event in the summer olympics is the 100 metres, and that wouldn't be as exciting if it weren't for roids.


haha..well it sure wasn't exciting watching Marion Jones that's for sure.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby El Gaupo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:58 pm

I read briefly through this thread and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere...

But steriods are illegal Playing professional sports should not exempt one from the law.

having said that the stronger argument is that players who do not use illegal drugs are at a greater disadvantage to those who do.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HotRephoantee, Izenhart, lesleyls16, NikkiSixx and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Apr. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(2:20 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Miami at Miami
(7:08 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Seattle
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact