Time To Stir The Pot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time To Stir The Pot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time To Stir The Pot

Postby coachdino » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:47 am

I have been reading alot about certain players allegedly using certain drugs. I am going to be politically correct with this statement, but here it goes. I say juice em up and let em go. I pay good money to be entertained by these guys, and they get paid HUGE money to play. If they want to fill their bodies with crap that will kill them in 10-20 years let them do it. Players can't claim they didn't know how bad steroids are. The days of claiming ignorance are over. I enjoyed whatching Lyle Alzado play football, many say his life ended early because of what he used. I am not going to argue that, but once his days as a football player were over, he was not a part of my life so what ever happens happens.
Pro athletes are paid to entertain me. I want to see the best of the best. If somebody wants to enhance their ability with supplements so be it. What happens to them when their career is over is between them and their families.
O.K.....let the debate begin ;-)
coachdino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:02 am

You're forgetting the fact that these pro athletes are looked upon as role models by children whether the athletes like it or not. Advocating that it isnt wrong to take drugs sends the wrong message to kids particpating in sports and kids in general. Its not just about tainted records and athletes not really being part of your life, it affects the young people that watch them considerably. Steroid use has already been seen in college and high school athletics, do we really need to see it with kids playing in Little League or Pee Wee Football too?
Last edited by Rirruto on Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:04 am

The problem I have with this, is it puts players who want to earn a living playing baseball without risking their lives at a bid disadvantage. I have no sympathy for players who use drugs; when they die at age 40 that sucks, but it's their own fault.

But giving incentive to players who juice - and in some cases making it seem like the only route is steroids - is not an option IMO. The rules are that you can't use steroids; if you still want to, go play in another league that will let you. Sadly, MLB comes across as one that will let you, but hopefully that will change soon.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:10 am

I think athletes have always used any edge possible to get ahead. This is nothing new, it has been going on since the dawn of sport. Steroids themselves are nothing new to sports either, athletes have used them since the '50's. Heck in the '72 Olympics people speculated that 50% of the athletes were on steroids.
Even Hank Aaron himself said he would have taken Andro if it were available to him in his day. How do we know that something similar wasn't?

Which brings me to my next question? I think the FDA has proven over the last couple of years that they do not know what they are doing. So excuse the legal argument for a minute.

What is the difference between going and buying supplements off the shelf from GNC, and buying something from a chemist? You don't see the media flipping out because Alex Rodriquez had a Protein Shake, saying that he has un unfair advantage over the people that played before him? They both enhance your body in some way or another! Now protein shake may be a poor example but I could get online right now and purchase 100's of totally legal products that will aide me in my workout. How is that somehow different?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby Rirruto » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:13 am

Maybe because a protein shake wont shrivel your balls to the size of tapioca and kill you when you're 40 :-B
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:15 am

wrveres wrote:I could get online right now and purchase 100's of totally legal products that will aide me in my workout. How is that somehow different?

Protein shakes and vitamins aren't illegal, banned by MLB, and are presumably not as deadly as steroids, and other similar products.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:27 am

LBJackal wrote:
wrveres wrote:I could get online right now and purchase 100's of totally legal products that will aide me in my workout. How is that somehow different?

Protein shakes and vitamins aren't illegal, banned by MLB, and are presumably not as deadly as steroids, and other similar products.

apparently you didn't read my post ... :-?
So excuse the legal argument for a minute

Maybe I will try this a different way ..

What is the difference between our athletes bulking up at GNC and bulking up by a Doctor. Steriods are not harmful if used properly. They can be prescribed by a doctor. Many people use a form of steriods and have zero side effects from them. Its the abuse where people get into trouble. Ask Lyle and Cammy! .. oh you can't. Why? because they were abusers that have been sensationalized by the media. Oh and I got news for you, Both Lyle and Cammy abused alot more than just steriods.

so what is the difference if our athletes bulk up one way or the other?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:38 am

wrveres wrote:What is the difference between our athletes bulking up at GNC and bulking up by a Doctor. Steriods are not harmful if used properly. They can be prescribed by a doctor. Many people use a form of steriods and have zero side effects from them.

Because steroids are much more harmful than the legal supplements you're talking about. It's truw that if you use steroids properly, you might have no bad side effects.

You can also go your whole life speeding and not wearing a seatbelt, and if you pay attention, you could very well live long enough to die of old age.

The point is, steroids are harmful and even if you use them properly there are still increased risks. But anyway, are you suggesting that they're made legal as long as people use them properly?

They are banned, they should be banned, and I don't think there's much to it.
Last edited by LBJackal on Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby giants8307 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:39 am

wrveres wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

apparently you didn't read my post ... :-?
So excuse the legal argument for a minute

Maybe I will try this a different way ..

What is the difference between our athletes bulking up at GNC and bulking up by a Doctor. Steriods are not harmful if used properly. They can be prescribed by a doctor. Many people use a form of steriods and have zero side effects from them. Its the abuse where people get into trouble. Ask Lyle and Cammy! .. oh you can't. Why? because they were abusers that have been sensationalized by the media. Oh and I got news for you, Both Lyle and Cammy abused alot more than just steriods.

so what is the difference if our athletes bulk up one way or the other?

Although I really think steroids can be seriously harmful(see: suicide), there is no doubt that they will help you build muscle. The crap at GNC is a different story. Numerous physicians claim that the "legal" stuff doesn't help at all. Along with the health risks, i think that's the difference.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby coachdino » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:47 am

I agree with what both of you said. I also agree that athletes are viewed as role models and finding out your "hero" is on an illegal substance could effect a young player, that is why we must educate our kids. Communication is the most important ingredient to any healthy relationship. Kids should be told about the effects of ALL DRUGS, so when you talk to them about crystal meth, let them know about steroids as well.
That being said, when I pay big bucks to whatch these guys play I want to see the best. If some moron wants to shoot himself in the ass so he can give me a better show, who am I to stop him. I just want to know when he goes on it so I can draft him on my fantasy team.
Maybe i'll name my team the Juice Monkeys :-?
coachdino
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers