Which SoCal team is more poorly run? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which SoCal team is more poorly run?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which SoCal team is more poorly run?

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:49 pm

Angels or Dodgers? I think on the field, the Dodgers probably win. Off the field, it's going toward the Halo's...

Why would they shoot down a trade for Javy Vazquez, then later trade Green away for NOTHING instead? Yes, Javy might have a question mark or two, but he's shown some great seasons in the past. Now the Dodgers get prospects back when they're obviously built to win in the next season or two.

The thing that REALLY gets me is Artie Moreno. This guy managed to spend $100m last year and beat the A's by... one game? His signings have all pretty much been horrible, from Colon to the Guillen mess. Now he has EVERY Angel fan in Orange County (where the team is located, btw) upset about this name change. He's taking what little history the Angels had and turning the team into a sham. He's obviously trying to exploit the latino market here (this is even more obvious with his signings) and wants to focus on LA... but at some point, doesn't history and logic appeal over creating a larger market area?
Last edited by ocmusicjunkie on Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:51 pm

My vote goes to the Dodgers.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby perlick29 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:56 pm

I'd say the dodgers right now, because they have a rich history but haven't won in ages. But the dodgers might not have given green away for nothing. Koyie Hill would be a nice addition if they in fact take him over chris snyder. Their starting catcher right now is Dave Ross. Hill would be better.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:13 pm

ocmusicjunkie .. I understand your frustration with Anaheim, I really do. But we cannot knock owners in one breath for not trying to expand their market and improve their team, and then turn around and knock them for doing so.

The city of Anaheim is mostly full of fair weather fans anyways. That is not intended to be a blanket statement, as I am sure there are many true fans that go to the games. But like here in San Diego there is just too many other things to do other than going to a game, and that’s understandable. If the Angels or Padres are not winning, hardly anybody goes, and both teams have a "rich history" of not winning. On top of that, being viewed as "the annoying little step-brother to the Los Angeles Dodgers" for three decades has to get old after a while. As we sit here and speak, there are a great many fans upset with the Dodgers right now, and it seems like a perfect time for a hostile take over, so to speak, of the huge LA Market. A market I might add that cannot even support a football team.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby xeifrank » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:18 pm

Didn't both teams make the playoffs last year? I'd give both teams a few months in the spring and see how they do before jumping off the bandwagon. The Green trade could lead to other FA signings, or it could lead to nothing, only time will tell.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tlef316 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:24 pm

its easily the dodgers. the angels won a title a few years ago and are constantly working to expand their market and put a better and better product on the field. Im not sure you can say the same about the dodgers. something like 5 straight rookies of a year in the early 90's and not one playoff series win(if my memory serves me correctly.)

Pass on the RJ deal and then overpaid for drew. Dropping out of the beltran sweepstakes. None of it makes sense. By paul Depodesta is a billy beane disciple, which therefore makes him a genius. We obviously are clueless about baseball, so we should all shut up and assume that everything will work out ;-7
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:37 pm

I like Depodesta. I think he knows what he's doing... if he doesn't cave to public pressure. The original move with the Yankees involved was perfect for the team.... but he couldn't stand up to the LA Media. :-P
Help please:

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:49 pm

I agree with wrveres, although I also think the LA Angels name will be a PR debacle. It will completely piss off the core (albeit fair weather) Orange County fan base, which for some reason takes pride in living in the vapid suburban abyss that is south of LA. At the same time, this will do nothing to draw fans from LA. Who from LA is going to sit on the freeway for 90 minutes to go see a silly team in a cheesy stadium when then can get to a Dodgers game much more easily? It is like expecting people to give up the Knicks for Nets if the Nets play in the Meadowlands but call themselves the New York Nets. People will flock if it is a freeway series or if the Yankees are playing, but they would drive to see that no matter what the Angles are called. If Moreno wanted to be Mr. LA he shouldn't have bought a team in OC.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:25 pm

I'm slightly offended by the suburban abyss comment. What does LA have that OC doesn't, other than god AWFUL traffic and overcrowding?
Help please:

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:33 pm

and you both have that annoying smog ...
At least I can breathe down here. :-°

Maybe they should put that into the brochure when the Orange County Padres of San Diego expand.
:-D
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers