Adrian Beltre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adrian Beltre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:08 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I have no solid opinion on which way he goes, I just do not trust the guy.

He may be a fluke.
He may be the next Pujols.
He may be the next roid induced career year like Javy Lopez and others.

Enough of a concern to make me back off and pick another great player.

Summed up the way I feel about it. I'm not denying he could be a great player, it's just that I still see a huge risk there, more than I'm willing to take where he will be taken (end of first round or so) considering how deep 3B is and the value that can be had there with minimal risk.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:37 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:ok - now back to baseball and Beltre.

The guys who have commented so far are very negative on Beltre. For an opposing view...

He is an end of the 1st, beginning of the 2nd rd draft pick. Regardless of what youve heard, that is where he is going to go in the majority of drafts. He led the majors in HRs. Hes 25. Hes been injured with fluke ailments and had to learn how to hit at the MLB level before he was entirely ready, so his progression was slowed. It was not a mistake or career yr. This is the real Beltre. This yr he will be hitting behind Ichiro and Brett Boone with Sexson behind him. He's easily the 2nd best 3B behind Arod.

There are those who think he was a fluke.
There are those who think he's the next.

I have no solid opinion on which way he goes, I just do not trust the guy.

He may be a fluke.
He may be the next Pujols.
He may be the next roid induced career year like Javy Lopez and others.
Enough of a concern to make me back off and pick another great player.

what?? javy lopez used steriods????????? Can i have an article or something, cause i have never heard even a rumor of this before. Did i miss something?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:46 am

so0perspam wrote:
Pacman wrote:Hey so0perspam, is that Charleze Theron on your banner? If it is, I gotta say, (yet again) you Cafe guys have excellent taste. Charleze and Elisha Cuthbert (used in several banners/avatars in here) are solid #1 and 1A in my book. ;-D

3rd guy from the Cafe who didn't recognize who was in my sig and avatar .... it's Jessica Alba haha ;-D. Me and Pedantic are doing this Sin City (it's a movie) theme ..... :-)

I noticed it was Jess, but not high on the photo (she looks blonde, thus a turnoff). She's one of my fav's.

Back to Beltre, I am gonna let someone else take that gamble. The guy has seen alot of time since he was brought up soo young, and his body is starting to show sign of wear (Bone spurs etc). Not saying he will get injured this season or not repeat his performance, but there are plenty of nice options at 3B, and I would rather take a more consistent guy later on, less risk, and a lower pick. A-Ram, maybe Chavy, Huff etc.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:42 am

Jessica Alba . . . mmmmmm. Nice.

That said, I'd take Beltre mid to late 2nd round. I have Rolen and ARod ahead of him at 3B. I think 2004 will turn out to be his career year, but I do think we're looking at a .300/30-35 HR guy, though that may be tempered a little in Seattle. He's no Brady as this type of season was touted for several years prior to 2004 - he just never delivered. At 26, I see no reason he can't hit at this level for a few more years. But I do agree that until he repeats, he is a gamble (and therefore not a 1st rounder).

Also, while LA may be a pitcher's park, it does not supress RH power the way Seattle does. He likely would not have had 48 in Seattle this last year.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

yep

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:50 am

The rationale for why he should be good is sound, but my guy says, "don't draft this guy"
D-Mat, Schilling, Beckett, and Papelbon - Wow!
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LCBOY » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:14 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Jessica Alba . . . mmmmmm. Nice.

That said, I'd take Beltre mid to late 2nd round. I have Rolen and ARod ahead of him at 3B. I think 2004 will turn out to be his career year, but I do think we're looking at a .300/30-35 HR guy, though that may be tempered a little in Seattle. He's no Brady as this type of season was touted for several years prior to 2004 - he just never delivered. At 26, I see no reason he can't hit at this level for a few more years. But I do agree that until he repeats, he is a gamble (and therefore not a 1st rounder).

Also, while LA may be a pitcher's park, it does not supress RH power the way Seattle does. He likely would not have had 48 in Seattle this last year.

I've said this before...At age 20 and 21 he had very solid seasons that had everyone drooling. He debuted at age 19. Players that debut at age 19 and play well from age 19-21 usually become superstars. Not always, of course, but usually...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Re: yep

Postby LCBOY » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:15 pm

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:The rationale for why he should be good is sound, but my guy says, "don't draft this guy"

My "guy" or my "gut"? }:-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:12 pm

"Also, while LA may be a pitcher's park, it does not supress RH power the way Seattle does."

Where do you get this from? I'm not taunting you, I'm just curious because I heard the opposite, that Seattle is more favorable to RH.

A-Rod hit a lot of HRs batting righty in Seattle at a young age. He hit more HRs in Texas (a big hitters park) but fewer in NY. That's just circumstantial, of course.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers