Overall Top 25 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Overall Top 25

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Actually

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:35 pm

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:I was just playing around with this excel formula I created and it had AROD significantly lower than the top hitters. But it also had Beltran lower than you would have guessed. The formula had:

1: Vladimar
2: Pujols
3: Abreu
4. RJ
5: Santana
6: Beltran
7: Manny
8: Bonds (although the formula doesn't count steroids)
9: Tejada
10: Beltran

Never though I would rank players like that, but wow

Im guessing one of those Beltrans is actually Beltre?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

oh yea

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:42 pm

My bad.....10. Belre
D-Mat, Schilling, Beckett, and Papelbon - Wow!
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Actually

Postby Erboes » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:56 pm

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:I was just playing around with this excel formula I created and it had AROD significantly lower than the top hitters. But it also had Beltran lower than you would have guessed. The formula had:

1: Vladimar
2: Pujols
3: Abreu
4. RJ
5: Santana
6: Beltran
7: Manny
8: Bonds (although the formula doesn't count steroids)
9: Tejada
10: Beltran

Never though I would rank players like that, but wow

What you are looking at is the difference between perceived value and actual value. If you used your head to rank these players using the same numbers you plugged into Excel the rankings would be totally different (perceived value). Actual value, however, ignores the mistake that most people make, which is putting too much weight in HR's and RBI's. Runs, followed by BA and SB's, are usually undervalued. Weighing these cats evenly, however, like the formula you are likely using, gives you a far different story than the commom perception on a player's actual worth.

As an aside, everyone really needs to be careful with what rankings they use because I know for a fact that many fudge them so as not to go too far against a player's perceived value. This practice is one of the reasons why we started Rotoguys.com because it pissed us off so much. This is why I always seem to be arguing against everyone here. I rely on actual values and always butt heads against those using perceived values (such as that of A-Rod).
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

actaully, NO

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:59 pm

The excel formula I created uses only figures from the previous three years. In my projects I then give them an Up arrow or Down arrow if I agree or disagree with the rankings
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:03 pm

Erb - How many times and how many ways can you get Rotoguys.com into your posts? :-b

more power to you and continued good luck.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Erboes » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:05 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Erb - How many times and how many ways can you get Rotoguys.com into your posts? :-b

Mookie,

I actually found myself laughing it was so transparent. Leave it to you to point out the obvious. Every word of it was true though, despite the shameless self-promotion.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Rotoguys

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:10 pm

I wasn't impressed by the site.
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Erboes wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Erb - How many times and how many ways can you get Rotoguys.com into your posts? :-b

Mookie,

I actually found myself laughing it was so transparent. Leave it to you to point out the obvious. Every word of it was true though, despite the shameless self-promotion.

Yeah, it was transparent but funny nonetheless.

Even though it might deprive me of the fun (and a potentially good drinking game) of watching you try to get rotoguys into every post, may I suggest that you put it in your sig. I don't think that menyak or Arlo would object to you putting a rotoguys banner down there.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Erboes » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:39 pm

What fun would that be?

I should also add that it's a great group of fellas running this site even though they banned my partner from posting. In fact, I am going to mention the Cafe often in my writings because I think it is the best site around. Great job, guys, and it's a great service you provide. Hope you are making a ton of dough because you've earned it.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:43 pm

Erboes wrote:What fun would that be?

I should also add that it's a great group of fellas running this site even though they banned my partner from posting. In fact, I am going to mention the Cafe often in my writings because I think it is the best site around. Great job, guys, and it's a great service you provide. Hope you are making a ton of dough because you've earned it.

Tribe-fan's gone? hmmm, I never read anything offensive or even controversial from him. Guess you hanging around with you rubbed off on him. ;-)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers