Let's talk about the future: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Let's talk about the future:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk about the future:

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:12 pm

I was looking into Mets prospects and was hoping to get your thoughts on a few different prospects.

Granted, Lastings Milledge is young but I think the kid will be pretty good. I'm thinking that he'll end up as a 30/30 guy with a .270 batting average year in and year out. Not bad, really.

Ian Bladergroen doesn't look too bad, either. I'm hoping for a Tino Martinez sort of a player.

Petit doesn't look too bad, although I wonder how much of his success can be replicated on a major league level.

Does anyone else have something Mets-related for me to look forward to? Anything at all?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:15 pm

I'm still not convinced that V-Zam's finished. Honestly, I trust Rick Peterson to do something good with his arm.

Reyes will be a supreme base threat if he can figure out the strike zone and his leg.

I like Milledge, but he's got the same problem as Reyes- no knowledge of the strike zone.

Bladdergroin (I know that's not how you spell his name, it's just too easy to pass up as an insult) looks decent, but when that .342 Capital City average wears off, he'll need to keep up his power threat. 13 HR in 72 G in A league as a 21-year-old isn't bad, but the wrist injury scares me a bit.

Petit's stuff is nasty. He relies on deception, guile, and control- and he strikes out. A lot.

Don't forget David Wright anchoring the hot corner, and Pedro being here.

I wouldn't be surprised if we win something important in two or three years. Just don't overpay for Beltran. :-o
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Rirruto » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:52 am

DK wrote:Petit's stuff is nasty. He relies on deception, guile, and control- and he strikes out. A lot.

From what I've read, his stuff is just average but his delivery is what made him difficult in Low A ball. Who knows if that will carry over in AA and AAA. Better hitters will most likely adjust better to him. I also saw him pitch for the B-Mets in September and he wasn't very impressive at all but maybe it was just one start.

I cant wait to see David Wright for a full season and see if Reyes and Matsui can get their act together. This team has the potential to be very exciting this year but I'm not trying to get my hopes up too much. I also love how Omar Minaya seems like he's in the middle of everything in terms of aquiring talent and I like that he travels to where the players are instead of waiting for them to come to him (Pedro, Beltran). This should be quite an interesting year.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Viper8437 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:08 pm

i really think that everyone is underestimating the mets this year
i mean
they could have a great team if most of the people are able to stay injury free which is what killed them last season
reyes seems to have figured out somethign with his leg, he was playing for sometime in winter leagues and went injury free which is a plus
i think the kaz will be much better this year
and wright is a great hitter
and if the mets can get delgado they would have a great infield or if somehow are able to get beltran, would have a much better OF with camron, beltran, and floyd

then theyre rotation is much improved from last year
im guessing
pedro
glavine
benson
zam
trachsel

they have a great team
also i heard that oliver perez wants to join the mets and work with pedro? anyone hear about this? he would be a great addition
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rirruto » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:22 am

Viper8437 wrote:also i heard that oliver perez wants to join the mets and work with pedro? anyone hear about this? he would be a great addition

I think you might be thinking of Odalis Perez. He would be a good pickup and I totally agree that the Mets can have a good year. The NL East doesnt seem to overbearing and I think we have a decent staff with a good core of players. Cant wait :-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Viper8437 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:34 pm

na uh
oliver
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:25 am

Viper8437 wrote:na uh
oliver

Oliver might want to join the Mets but I'm pretty sure he has at least 2 years before he becomes arbitration-eligible. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:23 am

the mets minor league system is below average with really only 2 standout minor leaguers as of now.... petit and milledge... humber or a number of their other 2004 prospects could become one as well though.... but that does not mean the mets future is dim though... with wright, reyes, beltran already in the big leagues at such young ages, their future is fairly bright... i do think they will need to add some pitching whether starter or relieving to be top contenders in a few years but they do have the studs coming to or already in NY to be a championship team in 2007 or so easily.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:27 pm

Pretty interesting read about Milledge by John Sickels:

http://mets.nyfansites.com/feature.php?item=253
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets