Johnson traded to Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnson traded to Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:49 pm

Nothing would make me happier than Randy Johnson to screw up his knee, Moose stay as bad as he was in the beginning of 04, Carl Pavano and Wright to bust bigtime as I think they will, and Kevin Brown get that back thing going all over again. The Yankees pitching staff is a paper champion, but I think they will fall apart sooner or later.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:03 pm

Tino is almost certain to be signed, IMO. And they also need a util IF to play 2b,ss,3b.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Gandalf » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:12 pm

george will get Beltran and then send Giambi and $50M to the Rockies for Helton :-P
Gandalf Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:35 pm

i still have high hopes for vaz if he gets his mechanics straightened out. However, the opportunity to get a top 10 all time great pitcher doesnt come along very often. Good deal. Plus, as i understand it, we kept duncan and gave up halsey. Seems like a good move to me.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:58 am

I don't think that this is an extremely smart move for the Yanks. Johnson can't dominate forever and considering he doesnt have any miniscus in his knee anymore, you cant expect him to continue pitching for 2 or 3 more years without the cartliage in that joint degenerating or becoming irritated.

I dunno, I just think the yanks' rotation has too many question marks hanging over it. - injuries, inconsistancy and guys in decline.....I dunno. I don't much like this rotation or Boston's.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:07 am

RynMan wrote:I don't think that this is an extremely smart move for the Yanks. Johnson can't dominate forever and considering he doesnt have any miniscus in his knee anymore, you cant expect him to continue pitching for 2 or 3 more years without the cartliage in that joint degenerating or becoming irritated.

I dunno, I just think the yanks' rotation has too many question marks hanging over it. - injuries, inconsistancy and guys in decline.....I dunno. I don't much like this rotation or Boston's.

I agree with you in theory....however when NY has the chance to get the best pitcher in the game, and (IMO) the best lefty ever....I think they have to take it. I am thinking he still has 2 good years left in him...and 2 good years of RJ is likely better than 10+ good years of Vazquez to be honest. Especially for a team with a win-now philosophy like the Yankees.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby xeifrank » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:14 am

How does this trade effect Johnson's projected numbers? I'd assume his projected win total has to be up around 20, not sure on the other numbers as I don't know the difference between the BOB and Yankee Stadium as far as which one is a better pitchers park. Johnson will have to face tougher hitters and a DH. Thoughts?

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:17 am

RynMan wrote:I don't think that this is an extremely smart move for the Yanks. Johnson can't dominate forever and considering he doesnt have any miniscus in his knee anymore, you cant expect him to continue pitching for 2 or 3 more years without the cartliage in that joint degenerating or becoming irritated.

So you think Vazquez is less of a question mark for inconcistency or injury? You would rather pay Vaz 34.5M over the next 3 years rather pay RJ 48M over the next 3 years? People talk like Vaz is getting paid 3M and would re-sign in 2008 after his contract is up for chump change (assuming he pitches well, which is at best dubious). If he pitches well in this market he would get 12M+ again...if he doesn't he is not worth squat. Either way, for the next 2 years, who would you rather have? It is not like the extra few million in salary is a major concern to George. Nor a prospect in Navarro that has been hyped up to sound like the next coming of Posada, but who in reality has not shown a lot as sportsblurb has noted:

http://www.sportsblurb.com/farm3.htm

Our farm system blows, Vazquez had blown and outside of some extra cash George has to spend, what is really the debate? Young does not mean better as Clemens and RJ and David Wells and a host of older pitchers have proven ove rthe last few years. Is it a calculated gamble that RJ stays healthy...sure. It would also be a calculated gamble to keep Vaz, save the money and hope he pitches well. Which would you feel more comfortable with if you are Cashman? Which pitcher strikes fear into tthe opposition?...certainly not gopher ball, bambi in the headlights Javy.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers