Min/Max Innings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Min/Max Innings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Min/Max Innings

Postby cannonarm21 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:21 pm

I am throwing a lot of questions out today, but I am striving to improve our league so I appreciate all the advise.

Our league of two years has never had a min or max innings pitched. I am really against this. Our commissioner this year has added a rule that you must hav a min. of 20 innings pitched every week. He fails to see the benefit of max innings.

Our 6 pitching categories are (W,L,S,K,ERA,WHIP) I am telling him that if you have a good week of pitching, and get your 20 innings in...you should be rewarded. But without a max innings the person you are playing against can pick a ton of pitchers up and surely pass you in wins and K's and possibly saves. Which would tie pitching 3-3. He has no limits on transactions.

I just feel that not having a max innings pitched really hurts the teams with strong pitching staffs.
Am I right on this one? What is a good number for max innings pitched? I had suggested 55-60.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:29 pm

absolutely you are right.

Having no IP or transaction limits are what are referred to as WW leagues, and simply stated they are a joke.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:30 pm

I if remember right there is a simple calculation to decide this ..
I just cant remember it ..
Its depends upon your roster positions actually ..

But, a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 80 (assuming 9 pitcher positions) seems to be perfect.

Nothing pisses me off more than an owner churning SP for the week.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1144)

Postby john gardner » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:40 pm

I think the limit is good. If you play 162 games at 9 innings per game, that yields 1458 IP and thats enough, Yahoo uses 1250 in their public leagues. B-) B-)

On the transaction limits, I'm used to NO limit , but could stand a limit. Important thing here is to KNOW THE RULES and play accordingly.
You never can tell...the depth of the well...by the length of the handle on the pump..
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:45 pm

Yeah, the no max innings can be taken advantage of in the way you described.

However, if your commish won’t go for the simplest solution (capping innings), get him to include some stat categories where the fewest total wins – like walks, HR allowed, losses (which you have). Those categories foil the owners who want to rack up innings by canceling out the categories that they win by sheer quantity of innings pitched.

I was also in a league a couple of years ago that allowed only one SP slot. So, not only were you limited by the number of starting pitchers per week, but owners couldn’t load up on all #1 starters because they often pitched on the same day. You had to draft a #1, #2, and so on. Sure people could get around it by picking up converted relievers like Derek Lowe, but the market for quality arms in that category was relatively thin. It was frustrating at times, but the league did not have any problems with inning overloading.

However, capping the innings is the best and purest way to prevent winning stat categories by sheer volume of innings pitched.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:11 pm

lesgrant wrote:Yeah, the no max innings can be taken advantage of in the way you described.

However, if your commish won’t go for the simplest solution (capping innings), get him to include some stat categories where the fewest total wins – like walks, HR allowed, losses (which you have).

My H2H league does this (charges for walks allowed). I'd as soon have the IP max, but it does serve to punish the churner ... who typically gets his ERA and WHIP beat up anyway.
Best thing of all is to align with guys you know and trust. My league has been together (for the most part) for six years now; we have a couple who occasionaly 'spot churn', but nobody goes whole-hog with it, thank gawd.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:00 am

wrveres wrote:I if remember right there is a simple calculation to decide this ..

But, a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 80 (assuming 9 pitcher positions) seems to be perfect.

we use 12 ip minimum and this year we're going to try 75ip max but i'd like to see that formula if you can find it.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:35 am

wrveres wrote:I if remember right there is a simple calculation to decide this ..

Generally play 5x5, but on the reverse side, nothing pisses me off more than someone playing closers and MR and dominating 3 of the 5 each week, and lucking into W a time or two. Our league has weekly transactions, so less fear of churning SP. But I agrre a minimum IP is a must.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Return to Baseball Leftovers