Roto vs. H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto vs. H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JDD » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:15 am

yeah, I can see how the dynasty leagues can be fun....

But I still don't see how Roto is better than Head to Head

In Head to Head, the manager's decisons mean everything when it comes time to decide when to use pitcher games.

In Roto, you can win or lose your league on Draft Day, and that is fine if you draft with a bunch of Rubes.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:22 am

i happen to like H2H better, but both have their stregnths and weaknesses. In our cafe keeper league, we are puting in an innings pitched limit to halt the "churning" of starting pitchers which is a big problem in H2H leagues. You can win a roto league on draft day. I actually drafted a yahoo pub team last year and won without making one FA pickup or trade all season. My team was so superior that i had all but clinched the title by mid august.

I think H2H is slightly better for baseball. Although you can get burned by one of your opponent's players having a monster week(craig monroe :-P ) you still have a chance to make up for it. Roto can be deeper strategically, but it doesnt build the rivalries and excitement that H2H playoffs and tense regular season matchups do.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ayebatter » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:00 am

I play both h2h & roto leagues - if you like daily changes in the standings,play roto - if you like a weekly slugfest, play h2h - they both develop great rivalries (roto within each stat catagory - and h2h with the teams near you in the standings). so if you're a stat nut play roto - if you're a fan play h2h.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:40 am

Roto is definateley harder than H-H IMHO.

Most H-H (points) leagues use a broad array of categories to award points from. Particularly with pitching, I would guess over 90% of H-H point leagues, cannot adequatley take into acount the correlation between ERA/WHIP/ and INN that levels the playing field of your place in the standings in roto leagues.

For instance a BBI or HA both hurt your WHIP in Roto. In H-H leagues it is very tricky to get a scoreing system balanced out that takes into account that kind of stuff.

The difference with hitters is there as well although I believe not as drastic as with pitching when compareing the differences between the leagues and how the actual stats determine your place in the standings.

Similar to the above mentioned example in H-H leagues, a middle reliever can hypotheticaly enter a tie game in the bottom of the 7th with 2 outs and then give up 2walks, 4hits, and then 3 runs before getting the last out. During the top of the 8th that sad middle reliever's team reclaims the lead. He could then retire just one batter in the bottom of the 8th and go on to recieve credit for the win if his team held on to win from there. Most H-H leagues would award points to that middle reliever for the win and unless in a pretty advanced custom scoreing league the owner that used him would end up recieving points.

Now in roto if that were to happen, It would hurt your ERA, WHIP, while only providing help in one category, Wins. There is no positive in that scenario for a roto owner as he was hurt in 2 other categories.

As elaborate as that was there are a billion other instances like that or similar to it that could happen.

Roto is much more in depth and advanced IMHO.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers