Roto vs. H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto vs. H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto vs. H2H

Postby cannonarm21 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:53 am

I am still somewhat new to fantasy baseball. This will be my third year doing a H2H 12 team league. I actually won it the first year, but stumbled a bit last year.

I understand the H2H leagues inside and out, but can somebody explain what a "roto" leagues is a little more?

Thanks.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:22 pm

Roto leagues are where you have stats like in h2h but they accumulate over the whole season and you get points for where you place in each category.

In a 5x5 league with 12 teams, for instance, you'd get ranked from 1-12 (12 being highest) on how you do in each stat. Then you add up all your points and the team with the most points at the end of the year wins.

So your lowest you could do is 12 and the highest is 144 but most leagues that i've done the winner usually has in the 90's.

Hope that helps!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:42 pm

I also want to mention that the strategies between the two are very different. Certain players are more valuable in roto than they are in h2h and vica versa. The way you manage IP and GP is different too.

Its much harder to punt a catagory in roto and still win.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cannonarm21 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:49 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I also want to mention that the strategies between the two are very different. Certain players are more valuable in roto than they are in h2h and vica versa. The way you manage IP and GP is different too.

Its much harder to punt a catagory in roto and still win.

Thanks, that was what I was wondering.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:48 pm

I would just like to add that h2h is somewhat easier than roto.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:17 pm

eftda wrote:I would just like to add that h2h is somewhat easier than roto.

how is it easier?

Dont get me wrong, I prefer roto much more than h2h because of a number of reasons including the fact that I would rather have a champion decided by what that owner has done over the course of the full season rather than who gets lucky the last 3 weeks for the playoffs.

But saying h2h is easier is an interesting statement - one Im not really gonna disagree with - and I would like to know why you think that.

Are you referring to the idea that you can punt a cat in h2h and still win?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:17 pm

The only way to find out is to play in one. ;-) I would highly recommend that if you do play in a roto league, join one that is auction based, in other words has a salary, allows for keepers, and has a minor league draft. Leagues that have been around at least 2-3 years seem to work better. The keeper, minor league draft and having contracts allow you to build your team from one year to the next. You are essentially a GM. :-)
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:27 pm

El Gaupo wrote:The only way to find out is to play in one. ;-) I would highly recommend that if you do play in a roto league, join one that is auction based, in other words has a salary, allows for keepers, and has a minor league draft. Leagues that have been around at least 2-3 years seem to work better. The keeper, minor league draft and having contracts allow you to build your team from one year to the next. You are essentially a GM. :-)

While those keeper or dynasty leagues are a ton of fun, the problem is the setup and owners. What I have seen is that people who start these leagues often are still trying to learn how they are supposed to work and are playing them because its kind of the new thing to do. What concerns me about them is the lack of understanding about the complexities of these type of systems and more importantly the lack of true owner hunting - finding owners who will still be active and competitive 3-5 years from now - thats the hurdle you have to overcome. My advice is to be extremely careful when you are thinking about committing to one of these leagues - seriously kick the tires and look under the hood. If you arent a serious veteran of the game and havent had experience somewhere with these types of league, dont even think about starting one from scratch - join one already in existance and play it for at least a couple years before you run out and start a new dynasty league on your own.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cannonarm21 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:28 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
eftda wrote:I would just like to add that h2h is somewhat easier than roto.

I would rather have a champion decided by what that owner has done over the course of the full season rather than who gets lucky the last 3 weeks for the playoffs.

I definitely like the sound of that, good point.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:54 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:The only way to find out is to play in one. ;-) I would highly recommend that if you do play in a roto league, join one that is auction based, in other words has a salary, allows for keepers, and has a minor league draft. Leagues that have been around at least 2-3 years seem to work better. The keeper, minor league draft and having contracts allow you to build your team from one year to the next. You are essentially a GM. :-)

While those keeper or dynasty leagues are a ton of fun, the problem is the setup and owners. What I have seen is that people who start these leagues often are still trying to learn how they are supposed to work and are playing them because its kind of the new thing to do. What concerns me about them is the lack of understanding about the complexities of these type of systems and more importantly the lack of true owner hunting - finding owners who will still be active and competitive 3-5 years from now - thats the hurdle you have to overcome. My advice is to be extremely careful when you are thinking about committing to one of these leagues - seriously kick the tires and look under the hood. If you arent a serious veteran of the game and havent had experience somewhere with these types of league, dont even think about starting one from scratch - join one already in existance and play it for at least a couple years before you run out and start a new dynasty league on your own.

Your comments are dead on. I'm in an AL only league that has been together for 6 years and we have a waiting list of 6 guys trying to get in. Our NL league is going on 9 years and and has a larger waiting list. Both leagues have unbelievable commissioners.

The only bad thing is that it has become impossible for anybody to repeat as league champion
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers