100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

strategy help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

strategy help

Postby Gandalf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:28 pm

Only 2 years experience in FB.

How do I evaluate trades like stud batter (Vlad, Bonds, type) for
stud starting pitcher (Schill, RJ, etc.) AND stud closer (Rivera, Gagne, Lidge).

Let's assume basic non-keeper H2H 5x5 stats and a small league (10-12 teams) and a large one (20-24 teams).

Let's assume we are early in a draft to avoid the obvious factors affecting a trade like positional need or strength of roster.

Which side would you prefer in such a trade in a small league and why?
And would you feel differently in a large league and why.

Thanks for any help.
Gandalf Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:42 pm

If you are not sure about a trade you can always post the offer and league scoring with your team in the trade, keeper and waiver help forum. You will receive some great advise there.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:16 pm

Can you clarify ... I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you asking if there is set formula or general set of rules to follow when it come to trading between picthers and batters?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby perlick29 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:38 pm

wrveres wrote:Can you clarify ... I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you asking if there is set formula or general set of rules to follow when it come to trading between picthers and batters?

I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to help but not sure how to answer.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:03 pm

All the general team based needs aside I would rather be on the SP/Closer side because two studs are better than one. The larger the league the more I would rather be on the getting two studs side.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:19 pm

yeah. i think he asking if he should trade a stud hitter for a stud SP AND and stud closer.

if that's the case i have to agree with Tavish. it's a very deep league and even though you are trading a hitter away, i'd prolly take a stud hitter over a stud pitcher (SP or CL), you should do it to get two stud players. how many times have i use dth word "stud" in this post? :-o

if you can get two great pitchers giving up a good hitter, you can always later on try to trade one of those picthers and bring a good hitter back.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby Gandalf » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:01 am

Ok now we're starting to answer my question.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I have valued hitters over pitchers and closers in the past and without roster needs I have trouble with cross category comparatives.

The answer I'm getting is that generally speaking the larger the league (and therefore less studs to go around), one for two is good, even if it's a stud hitter for a stud SP and stud closer.
Gandalf Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:16 am

Define Stud? :-?

At least I am curious as to your definition of Stud. I mean I still value hitters over pitchers because there is usually great value to be had in any given season off the wire, depending upon league depth. And turnover on closers is usually around 25% each season so a schrewd owner will value closers a little less.

In normal 5x5 12tm would I trade Pujols for say Pedro and Foulke? Probably not. In 16tm it is a maybe. I don't think you can just say this guy is a stud and that guy is a stud so its an even trade. There is a natural drop off statistically speaking at each position and so each position has its different level of Stud.

Each and every trade is unique. I don't think you can set gerneral rules like you are looking to do.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Gandalf » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:28 am

By stud I meant the top level in each.
Hitters: Pujols, Vlad, Arod, Beltran, Bonds
SPs: Santana, Schilling, RJ, Schmidt
CL: Gagne, Rivera, Lidge (maybe FRod joins in a coupla months)

I guess I would have been clearer to make this list and say would you trade one of the hitters for one of the SPs and one of the closers? in a 12 team? in a 24 team?
Gandalf Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:31 am

wrveres wrote:Each and every trade is unique. I don't think you can set gerneral rules like you are looking to do.

I think wr hit the nail on the head there. For me at least there are lots of factors that go into evaluating a trade, and they are usually different for each trade, but a couple of the things that I usually consider for every trade are:

1. Position scarcity -- I probably use this too much but if I'm getting a top player at a relatively shallow position (2B, SS, C), for a top player at a relatively deep position (1B, 3B, OF), I usually take that deal since it's harder to get good production at the shallower positions
2. Players career/long term performance -- If I'm trading away a more streaky player for a more steady player I usually take the steady player even if that means the potential may not be quite as high. I don't like to have players that can carry you when they're hot and kill you when they're cold if I can help it, it's just too much headache IMO. :*)
3. Players recent peroformace -- The proverbial buy low sell high applies here. If I can ship out a guy who's playing way over his head for either a more steady player or a big time performer who is struggling I will take a slumping star knowing he will come around eventually. ;-D
4. "Misc factors" -- Things like age (take younger players in keepers), park effect, etc. These are usualy one of the last things I consider, but they can have a great impact on who comes out ahead in a trade.

I realize I didn't answer an actual question in the thread. :*) Hope it helps at least a little bit. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers