Infante and Pena - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Infante and Pena

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Infante and Pena

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:27 pm

Dont sleep on him folks - If you are looking for a dirt cheep 2B option, look no further than Infante.

Check this out from a 12-28-04 article:

Paul Wezner wrote:One success story this offseason has been Omar Infante – who continues to hit well for Oriente in the Venezuelan League. Infante’s average is up to .310, including 4 Home Runs and 19 RBI. Infante has also sent 17 balls to the gaps (12 doubles, 5 triples) in an effort to become a complete player. Infante continues to impress and build on the promise he carries as a future cornerstone at Second Base.

Infante really began to put it all together after the AS break last yr, and he apparantly is one of the most impressive figures in the winter league right now. Ive never seen a ranking that has him listed as a top 10 2B, but dont let the noodleheads fool you. He WILL challenge for a place in the top 10 this yr - watch.

Want another one?

Paul Wezner wrote:Carlos Pena, much like Omar Infante, continues to work towards the beginnings of a strong 2005, as he’s now raised his average to .329 in 85 at bats. Pena now also has more walks (25) than strikeouts (22), and has 5 Home Runs. A good sign for a player the Tigers will need a big year out of, considering the lack of improvements elsewhere on the diamond.

Pena is another bigtime breakout candidate this yr - and you can get him extremely cheap too.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:10 am

I like Infante as a sleeper, but is Vina going to get playing time at second? Would that mean putting Infante in Center? Could mess him up a little.
I don't trust Pena. I have seen too many stretches early in the season where he is MIA. I'll have to wait and see him do it for the whole season. Will keep an eye out though.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:07 pm

Vina declined surgery and will try and go this spring, but early reports indicate he is basically done.

As for Pena - he really started tearing it up after the AS break and is currently hitting well above .300 this winter. If he can hit for avg. the guy can be a really huge draft day steal for someone willing to take the chance.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:01 pm

from rotoworld:

Tigers re-signed first baseman Carlos Pena to a one-year, $2.575 million contract.
Pena, who was eligible for arbitration for the first time, would earn a $25,000 bonus if he has 625 plate appearances. While he hit right around .240 again last season, he showed the best power and walk rate of his career. He's making steady progress. Jan. 7 - 3:42 pm et
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 213)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:52 pm

I used to be skeptical about Pena, but watching him late last year, I saw a completely different player. He must've had some magic switch go off. He's been hot before, but the way he was approaching the plate was different. I'm looking forward to seeing the kind of season he might have this year.

Infante will definitely surprise a lot of people. He'll never be a high OBP type of player, but he's a very good player for the lower third of the lineup. A little bit of power and a little bit of speed.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:34 am

Just remember before you put too much trust in Pena that when it mattered in June, he stank and was benched. I need to see consistancy from the start.

I have a little more faith in Infante, but wonder: did he just have his career year? I worry that he is going to fall in love with trying to hit homers and you know how that works out. Hope I'm wrong and can hardly wait to find out. C'mon Spring!
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Detroit Tigers