Deadly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Deadly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:11 pm

yea an allert system definitly needs to be put in place...unfortunatley there are so many small island that it makes it very hard to warn all the people....or at least I assume.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:30 pm

I guarantee you that if I had been there for that, I would have had no idea what was going on when that tide pulled away. And running would have done little good in many places. In some areas, the wave was still 40 feet high 1 mile inland. You can't run from that. I haven't heard reports yet, but an earthquake that large has to produce a wave moving at 30, 40, maybe even 60 miles an hour. You try running from 1,000 lined-up office buildings racing towards you at the speed of a car on the highway. I'm sure a lot of people just did what they could do quickest - get in a corner and/or climb. After that, you just grab the ones you love and say a prayer.

I saw one video of a guy running down a dirt road lined with trees. He turns around for a second, and you can see that the wave is not only gaining on him, but it's taller than the trees that have to be at least 20 feet tall. It looked exactly like the movies. Exactly.

I don't know about you guys, but I'll be giving some money to the Red Cross. I donated to the 9/11 fund, and that the casualties/scope of that disaster were "only" a drop in the bucket compared to this. They need any help you can give.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:37 pm

looks like the death toll will only get bigger.....

As the death toll from the epic tsunamis that slammed 11 countries soared to around 44,000 people on Tuesday, a top World Health Organization health expert warned that diseases could double the natural disaster’s death count before the situation can be stabilized.

The number of dead continued to climb rapidly as authorities in India, Indonesia and Sri Lanka re-established contact with remote islands and isolated coastal areas and confirmed their worst fears. And it was expected to rise considerably as emergency workers made their way into inundated villages and towns.

raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:09 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I guarantee you that if I had been there for that, I would have had no idea what was going on when that tide pulled away. And running would have done little good in many places. In some areas, the wave was still 40 feet high 1 mile inland. You can't run from that. I haven't heard reports yet, but an earthquake that large has to produce a wave moving at 30, 40, maybe even 60 miles an hour. You try running from 1,000 lined-up office buildings racing towards you at the speed of a car on the highway. I'm sure a lot of people just did what they could do quickest - get in a corner and/or climb. After that, you just grab the ones you love and say a prayer.

I saw one video of a guy running down a dirt road lined with trees. He turns around for a second, and you can see that the wave is not only gaining on him, but it's taller than the trees that have to be at least 20 feet tall. It looked exactly like the movies. Exactly.

I don't know about you guys, but I'll be giving some money to the Red Cross. I donated to the 9/11 fund, and that the casualties/scope of that disaster were "only" a drop in the bucket compared to this. They need any help you can give.

Well I woulda ran! But i knew thats what tsunamis did...As for wave speed I believe 500mph is more like it...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:17 pm

acsguitar wrote:As for wave speed I believe 500mph is more like it...

Good call:

rediff.com wrote:Tsunami waves, which hit India for the first time on Sunday wreaking havoc across the southern coastline, are a known phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean region, which stretches from Chile in Latin America to Japan in East Asia.

The waves are usually triggered by seismic disturbances -- coastal earthquakes, volcanic eruptions or undersea landslides -- that jolt the ocean floor.

Tremors under the sea displace ground surface, sending the water radially outward in concentric circles from its epicenter. The result is a deep wave, stretching from the sea's surface to the floor that travels horizontally at speeds of up to 500 miles per hour and reaches heights of 50 to 100 feet.

The tsunamis that hit India on Sunday were caused by a massive earthquake on the Indian Ocean near Sumatra in Indonesia. Similar waves have hit six other countries, claiming thousand of lives.

The waves travel faster in deep water, rising further as they approach shore. In open sea, Tsunamis are only about a metre high, but when they reach a shoreline, they can be taller than a house and weigh millions of tonnes.

Though the bottom of the wave is slowed down by the sharp elevation of the ocean floor near the coast, its top part keeps moving at the original speed. As a result, vast quantity of water piles up and finally crashes over the shore with amazing force, thus causing massive destruction.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:22 pm

ok i know im retarded but bare with, how could some tsunamis kill 44,000 people, are there that many people on the coast around india and sri lanka or how far exactly do these tsunamis come into the mainland, like the water or flooding etc.
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:50 pm

Red Cross

In case anyone is looking to help.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:53 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Red Cross

In case anyone is looking to help.

Thanks AA ...

Please do give ... please ..

I read yesterday where an entire Island was moved Southeast 100 FT. 8-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:16 pm

I read yesterday where an entire Island was moved Southeast 100 FT.

holy crap 8-o
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:38 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:
I read yesterday where an entire Island was moved Southeast 100 FT.

holy crap 8-o

I saw this on tv last night and they mentioned that the Earth's orbit was slightly affected as well. They didn't go into much detail about the orbit part, so it's probably a very small change, but interesting nonetheless.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk