Deadly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Deadly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deadly

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:06 pm

Anyone know what's up in the aftermath of the tsunami. It's insane these people had no idea what hit them.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:12 pm

All I know is that the death toll keeps rising. When I went to bed last night it was at 23,000. When I woke up today it's at 44,000.

I assume that they're warning people to try to stay away from the coast for awhile still. The last earthquake this large had aftershocks as large as 7.3.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:17 pm

Not to be insensitive..But have you seen some of the videos?? People are standing there like oh look at the pretty water coming up too high....If people had just run it would have helped....

Whats crazy about Tsunamis is that the water recedes from the beach a few hundred yards before the wave appears....

So basically if you are on the beach and see all the water going out to see you better turn and run to high ground...

Its totally insane how much distruction this has caused....Really a gruesome scene...Don't take my first comments as being disrespectul please. Just wish those people wouldn't have just stood there staring at the water....
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:23 pm

acsguitar wrote:Whats crazy about Tsunamis is that the water recedes from the beach a few hundred yards before the wave appears....

So basically if you are on the beach and see all the water going out to see you better turn and run to high ground...

They were talking about this on the T.V. last night, saying that if you ever see this phenomena you should start moving away from the beach. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about tsunamis but I'm thinking, "no $@#%". If I ever saw that happening my first instinct would be to run. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:27 pm

Well, you know who might not know that about Tsunamis? Children. Over 1/3 of the dead are children.

Plus, this sort of thing is so rare in the Indian Ocean that the people probably just didn't understand what was happening at all.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:58 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Well, you know who might not know that about Tsunamis? Children. Over 1/3 of the dead are children.

Plus, this sort of thing is so rare in the Indian Ocean that the people probably just didn't understand what was happening at all.

I'm not making fun of the people who died. I'm making fun of the stupid "instructional" blurb that was on the Discovery channel or something similar. You know where else this is rare? The U.S. coastline. I have never seen a tsunami but I have been to the beach often enough to know that a drastically receding tide is probably not a good thing. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby funatic » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Whats crazy about Tsunamis is that the water recedes from the beach a few hundred yards before the wave appears....

They were talking about this on the T.V. last night, saying that if you ever see this phenomena you should start moving away from the beach. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about tsunamis but I'm thinking, "no $@#%". If I ever saw that happening my first instinct would be to run. :-b

This is the first time in at least 40 years that anything remotely close to this has happened in the south, and southeast asian region. Not just kids, but nobody knows what to do in case of tsunamis. Unlike Japan, and maybe parts of the US, this is a whole new phenomena for them. People in Sri Lanka, Indonesia and South India, these people are mostly the poorer people, and many build their houses near the sea. From what I've heard, even whole villages in India were engulfed by the tsunami.

When people see the waves recede drastically, how were they supposed to expect anything like what happened happen. They just found it odd at the water level, but they didn't perceive any immediate threat.
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:00 pm

Why don't you holier-than-thous lighten up and stop misconstruing my posts in the worst possible light. :-°
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:01 pm

Well its not like we are calling these people stupid...its just a shame....anyways aren't tsunamis more common in these places?? I mean it hasn't happened in 40 years but they are a island culture so they are aware of the power and danger of the tides..
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby funatic » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:07 pm

acsguitar wrote:Well its not like we are calling these people stupid...its just a shame....anyways aren't tsunamis more common in these places?? I mean it hasn't happened in 40 years but they are a island culture so they are aware of the power and danger of the tides..

I understand nobody is calling them stupid. And no, tsunamis are far from common in this area. The highest recorded earthquake in the history is 9.4 on the richter scale, if I am not mistaken, which I very well may be. This tsunami(s) came from an underwater earthquake that was measured at 9.2, which is gargantuan if you think about it. This happened quite a bit off the shores of Indonesia, 3 hours before any tsunamis hit. The authority, or anyone for that matter, did not have any prior knowledge or preparation for this, and nobody was warned about what would happen. If some prominent people knew about what was going to happen, evacuations or even alerts would have saved thousands of lives.
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to General Talk