hideki matsui vs. carlos lee.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

hideki matsui vs. carlos lee....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby yanksareback2 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:19 pm

Im a huge Matsui fan but theres a bigger upside to Carlos Lee. He switched something in his swing and then bam look at all of those jrs in the 2nd half last year (25). It's a stretch but he cud break out and hit 35-40 hrs. Plus he also steals bases which matsui does not do.
yanksareback2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:12 pm

Matt SUshi all the way
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: hideki matsui vs. carlos lee....

Postby Ajax » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:14 pm

mgoody6634 wrote:Additionally, would you trade Lee for Carl Crawford? How much do those steals of his really boost his value?

If you've got a chance to get Crawford for Lee in a keeper league, you shouldn't even be worried about Matsui. Go get Crawford.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LCBOY » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:09 pm

NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:I would take Matsui ;-D He has finally adjusted to major league pitching and his numbers keep getting better every year.

I agree! I believe Matsui has a 40-45 HR season in him. Perhaps not next season but in the near future. I saw him play while I was in Japan in July 2002. He's got some big time power. He just needed an adjustment period and I think he'll flurish from here on out. Playing the the Yankees sure doesn't hurt, either. ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:47 am

Roto League I take them

Crawford
Matsui
Lee

Points League I take them

Matsui
Crawford
Lee

TeamCaptain#2 wrote:Carlos Lee Sucks.

Bye what criteria do you base that on? 2004 31HR 103R 99RBI .304BA 11SB last year was near the top of 2nd tier fantasy OF'ers. I by no means expect that this year. I'm thinking a small dip in everything except SB's. Probably more SB's. Off the top of my head I'd guess around .275-.280BA 20-25HR 90-95R 85-90RBI 15-20SB as I expect he will get the go ahead on more steal attempts.

Still fine 2nd OF'er numbers. Saying he sucks is a reach. Matsui on accout of his consistency and Crawford on account of his improveing and still developing potential is why I rate them higher.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:44 pm

Crawford
Matsui
Lee

No doubts about that order in my mind
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby lesgrant » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:54 pm

Obviously, I’m biased. But, doing a straight numbers comparison between him and Lee sells Hideki way short.

Contrary to popular opinion Matsui is still adjusting to MLB. He’s only been in the league for two years. His true power numbers are closer to 40-45 HRs and, if he bats cleanup for a full season, 120-130 RBIs.

I think a more accurate comparison would be to look at both players first two seasons in the league.

Lee – 16, 24 HRs respectively and 84, 92 RBI
Matsui 16, 31 HRs respectively and 106,108 RBI

It took Lee several years to make it to 31, while Matsui made it in year 2 by doubling his previous year’s output. Such a spike, indicates that he has more in his bat than we have seen. And the RBI output for both seasons shows that Hideki is a cut above Lee as a power slugger.

I honestly feel he's capable of Sheffield type numbers. If a guy hit 50 HRs in the minors, then follwed that up with 31 in his second season, the average scout would say that player's best is ahead of him, not behind him. (obviously no prospect would hit 50 in the minors because they'd be called up before the end of the season)

Crawford is another animal altogether. Speed and average. However, I think you could pick that up from other positions other than the outfield.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:11 pm

I myself also has a deal on the table for Lee, its Lee for Huff, not straight up but thats the main deal...would you take Lee for Huff? I'm thinking yes because Huff is eligible at 1st, 3rd and OF, and puts up the same numbers as Lee. ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:08 pm

most people seem to take crawford over lee.... im wondering where podsedik falls into this, being a poor man's crawford. would you trade lee away to get pods?
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers