Scott Posednick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Posednick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mocabeenow » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:17 pm

I see a lot of potential in Podsednik... I would bet in 2-3 yrs he would get the most improved award from the cafe.

Don't count him out... ;-D
His numbers will improve.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:47 pm

He had no track record in the minors and had a fluky rookie debut. He'll always be a speed threat, but then again so will Tom Goodwin. Living proof that speed doesn't guarantee a starting spot (especially on a team like the ChiSox). He's an average CF defensively, but not nearly as good as Rowand. Rowand has 10 times more potential, and has already realized a lot of it in 2004. I guess he'll split time with Everett in LF, or send Everett to DH. They also have Borchard but he's been a disappointment. Once Frank Thomas returns, whenever that is, methinks Pods will lose some playing time. It also depends on Everett actually hitting the ball.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:06 pm

LBJackal wrote:He had no track record in the minors and had a fluky rookie debut. He'll always be a speed threat, but then again so will Tom Goodwin. Living proof that speed doesn't guarantee a starting spot (especially on a team like the ChiSox). He's an average CF defensively, but not nearly as good as Rowand. Rowand has 10 times more potential, and has already realized a lot of it in 2004. I guess he'll split time with Everett in LF, or send Everett to DH. They also have Borchard but he's been a disappointment. Once Frank Thomas returns, whenever that is, methinks Pods will lose some playing time. It also depends on Everett actually hitting the ball.

you said about a month ago that you were worried that he might even lose PT in MIL cuz he was such a bad defensive guy. and i agree with that now. i still think the CHI Sox will give him a chance to prove that his rookie season wasn't a fluke, but if he doesn't perform well he might lose PT.

and to see that he's losing respect from people already just check the title of the thread :-b
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:11 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:and to see that he's losing respect from people already just check the title of the thread :-b

Yeah I saw that too, and stuff like that drives me nuts. :-D

I agree with everyone else though on this one. Most people here at the Cafe have had him "figured out" for lack of a better word for a while now. I've never been high on him since his terrible AVG and relatively high K rate for a leadoff guy are a deadly (in a bad way) combination IMO.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby pmacxx2 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:34 am

As a White Sox fan I'll stick my neck out on this one.

Lets disregard all fantasy view on this move. Carlos Lee is an ideal LF. Solid Avg, good run production, some pop. Defensively, Carlos has improved into an average defensive outfielder, which very well maybe his ceiling. Average arm strength, with underated accuracy. He caught a few guys sleeping last year.

Pods - I agree that he's rather flawed. I hate the fact he has a high K-rate and low on-base. But I see this move as potentially giving the White Sox a player they've not had in many years. Pods' major weapons is speed and for the last few years the White Sox were a hopeless station to station team. Its great when you hit a 3-run yacker, and then put 2 runners on the next inning and ground into a double-play. There was never any consistent offensive attack. The sox would win a game 10-4, then lost the next day 3-1. It couldn't have been more frustrating, especially when for the last 3 years we've watched the Twins execute us to death with hit-and-run and small ball. Pods gives us a chance to be a more complete team.

He has to improve his on-base and I have faith that he will. .350 on-base is realistic and if he steals 60 bases it should mean he'll score 110 runs. The way Ozzie Guillen wants to play is gonna make Pods that much more dangerous. Ozzie's gonna run this dude to death. I won't forget the addition of Vizcaino in this trade. Vizcaino gives the Sox a power arm in the bullpen that all of a sudden has the makings of one of the 5 best bullpens in the American League. Vizcaino, Politte, Hermanson setting up from the right side, with Marte for lefties and Shingo closing the door. This trade was a ballsy move by Kenny Williams and I understand the baseball world may have snickered somewhat. We were an unbalanced team with so much right-handed power and this move may have corrected that deficiency.

As far as fantasy, I think both lee and pods suck.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:18 am

Well for fantasy... if Pods gets playing time, he'll be worth having in most leagues. The 50+ SB's will assure that. With a normal manager, he'd be on the bench from day 1 IMO. He's not a good hitter, and he isn't a good enough fielder to wannant PT. But with Guillen... he's more of a "by feel" guy and will give Pods a chance and be deceived by his speed. He'll be a bad hitter, but in a few situations that would be double plays for most people he'll beat them out, and give the impression that he'll hit into less DP's than most hitters. Which is false. But that's the case when former players are given the manager position... they don't really know what they're doing. Once Thomas comes back, he'll be competing for LF playing time with Borchard and Everett. Good luck, Pods. You better hit .400 in April or you're done like dinner :-D I'm sure he'll make a good pinch runner though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers